Filming cocktail hour at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 12th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Filming cocktail hour

Is there any way to make cocktail hour interesting?
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

nothing I've ever found. :-(

However I usually get about 15 minutes of that unless there's a receiving line then add about 10 minutes. Once I've got that I try some "fancy" stuff. Snap zooms, swish pans booming with those things if possible, anything to keep from falling asleep. After about 30 minutes of roaming around and people waving at the camera OR turning away from it I usually put it down and take a few minutes to refresh myself.
I really don't use much of the footage anyway but like I always say "you can't edit what you don't have".
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What's cocktail hour?
Paul Lashmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

In most of the US after the ceremony before the reception actually starts there is a time (generally about an hour) where the B&G and guest get to greet one another, have a drink an o'duevr (sp) and relax a bit before the festivities of the receptiob kick off. In many cases the photog will take some formal shots of the B&G at a background and many will have a recieving line where they line up and shake hands and trade hugs with the guests.
Nothing exciting happens at this time (usually).
Old February 13th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #5
Major Player

We usually start off with a few establishing shots of the location and then move into some wide shots of people "mingling". If there is passed food, we usually stand still and pivot as they pass us by. If there is an actual bar, I like to shoot down the bar as drinks are being passed from the bartender to the guests. Another cool shot is to place the camera on the bar, zoom all the way in and do a slow zoom out. You can also do some cool focusing things with the different drinks. From there you really can only get decorations and people talking/laughing. Try to get as many different angles of the event as possible. An hour long cocktail hour usually ends up being 10-15 minutes on the DVD.
HTH!
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

During that moment, I would try to film the catering/in the kitchen. It's about to get pretty busy there, with all the hors d'oeuvres (appetizers) and first courses waiting to be prepared.
Maybe you can make ultra close-ups of small elements, which you can later re-use for say a DVD-menu background.
You could also interview people.
Paul Lashmana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques