JVC GY-HD200 for weddings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Major Player

JVC GY-HD200 for weddings?

I'm just curious what do you guys think about this camera for wedding videography?

Pros? Cons?

I searched the forum and didn't find anything too related.

The reason behind this question is that I came across a used cam with low hours for $3200 with 2 A/B batteries and a case (and all stock accessories).
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I don't do weddings but I own 2 HD200's.

2 cautions:
- make sure you are comfortable using a camera that doesn't have auto focus or image stabilization
- The 200 is NOT exemplary in low light. I use an Anton Bauer UltraLight as my oncamera light for low light situations. This may or may not work well for you at receptions in dark rooms.

Having said that, like I said, I own two and love them. The major advantages of the 200 series over the 1xx series is the battery plate is less prone to issues that plague the 1xx series (like blowing fuses) and the ability to shoot 60P for very natural movement, especially when downconverted to SD DVD.

The camera is quite decent in low light in DV mode BTW. Again, not exemplary but decent for a 3 chip 1/3" CCD camera. Hope this helps.
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Thx Shaun for quick reply.

I can understand why this cam is not as big as other model in wedding industry - the lack of auto-focus makes it very hard to use in situations where there is no time for setup.

How is the focus assist feature? Is it reliable?

And also - can u record 60p on the tape? or is it only on hard drive ?
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
60P to tape. My standard workflow.

Focus assist turns the viewfinder and LCD black and white and displays the edges of items that are in focus in a user defined colour. There are two benefits: it's easier to see focus in black and white PLUS the added reinforcement of the edges being colourized. On broadcast monitors, the edge detection has been called Peaking for years. Not foolproof but it's a good backup, PLUS it can be used while recording unlike the Expanded Focus on the Sony Z1 which can only be used in standby (I'm not knocking the Sony BTW).

Yes, you need to take a second to focus, but once you get used to it, a human should be able to out perform autofocus 90+% of the time. And because the lens is a "real" focus lens as opposed to a servo control, continually cycling lens ring, you can "guess" the distance to get close to "in focus".
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Trustee

As a current HD100 owner and a former wedding videographer, I would certainly use my HD100 for a wedding, but I would not have selected it specifically for weddings. The lack of auto-focus *will* make you work harder, but you'll get used to it.

That's a darn nice price you have - if it came with the Anton Bauer pack, it would be a done deal! At least if you get it cheap and don't like it, you can resell it.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
As a current HD100 owner and a former wedding videographer, I would certainly use my HD100 for a wedding, but I would not have selected it specifically for weddings. The lack of auto-focus *will* make you work harder, but you'll get used to it.

That's a darn nice price you have - if it came with the Anton Bauer pack, it would be a done deal! At least if you get it cheap and don't like it, you can resell it.
Thx Guys,

good thing I'm not focusing on weddings only, but trying to move on into other fields as well - more like commercial video/ads/corporate gigs. That's where I believe such a cam could shine letting me play with manual lens. Am I right? or wrong?
Old February 15th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Major Player

we own a HD100 and we use it as A cam on wedding (B cam would be XHA1 on steadicam). It took some time to get use to the focus but the focus assist function is very very useful. We use it with normal TV Lens during wedding and put on a letus while shooting commercial.

One more good thing about this camera is the looks. People will take you more seriously when you holding a camera like this in wedding.
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiuChung Leung View Post
we own a HD100 and we use it as A cam on wedding (B cam would be XHA1 on steadicam). It took some time to get use to the focus but the focus assist function is very very useful. We use it with normal TV Lens during wedding and put on a letus while shooting commercial.

One more good thing about this camera is the looks. People will take you more seriously when you holding a camera like this in wedding.
Wow... I always loved your productions. Didn't know they're done with JVC :-)
Old February 19th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #9
Major Player

thank you Lukas,

Most of our wedding and save the date was shot by JVC GY-HD100. We use TV lens for wedding because wedding require quick reaction. The response on TV lens is very impressive for Zoom, focus and iris. In some controlled environment like when we shooting our save the date video, we will use adopter for better picture.

One thing you may need to consider is the of the JVC. The color on JVC is not as eye catching as our canon and Panasonic camera. The color saturation seem a bit lower in the JVC. You may want to look at some test footage on vimeo before your purchase.
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiuChung Leung View Post
thank you Lukas,

Most of our wedding and save the date was shot by JVC GY-HD100. We use TV lens for wedding because wedding require quick reaction. The response on TV lens is very impressive for Zoom, focus and iris. In some controlled environment like when we shooting our save the date video, we will use adopter for better picture.

One thing you may need to consider is the of the JVC. The color on JVC is not as eye catching as our canon and Panasonic camera. The color saturation seem a bit lower in the JVC. You may want to look at some test footage on vimeo before your purchase.
What is TV lens? Never seen those when browsing around on BH or ebay.

The "look" is not as important since everything nowadays needs some coloring in post.

Thx for response.
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Siewior View Post
What is TV lens? Never seen those when browsing around on BH or ebay.

The "look" is not as important since everything nowadays needs some coloring in post.

Thx for response.
sorry about that.

For TV Lens, I mean this lens
Fujinon | HTs18x4.2BRM 1/3" 18x ProHD Lens | HTS18X4.2BRM
Old March 1st, 2009, 08:20 PM   #12
Major Player

Using cameras with ENG lenses will open up (cue the music) "a whole new world" for you in my humble opinion. But I'm a snob and won't go near a non manual lens.

All our weddings are shot with JVC HD200's as the A cam.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:47 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ferar View Post
Using cameras with ENG lenses will open up (cue the music) "a whole new world" for you in my humble opinion. But I'm a snob and won't go near a non manual lens.

All our weddings are shot with JVC HD200's as the A cam.
Really nice.

In this case another question - does any camera with such lens will give you more film/pro look then video look? Or is it all about cameraman and later in post?

I'm a firm believer that it should be all done in camera to achieve the best images possible - applying effects in post are just the icing on the cake.

What camera would you suggest (if not JVC's) which will allow you to create the best images (as far as the creativeness)? Or maybe it's not all about camera? Maybe I need to add matte box & filters, or 35mm adapter?
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:01 PM   #14
Major Player

The ENG lens allows us to control depth of field a bit more but mostly we nail our shots more quickly than with an auto lens. So if he shoots it correctly it just gives the editor more creative options in post.

I would also say that shoulder mount cameras give a "more pro look" as you say just because of their inertia- less shaky.

Damn, now you got me on a rant so I'll just have to keep going here while I should be editing!

There really are two ways for us to shoot a wedding: 1) reality TV style and 2) cinematic style. I switch back and forth when I'm shooting depending on the situation.

I don's use matte boxes, filters, or 35mm adapters for weddings. Weddings are just to fluid and I think you end up missing action if your fiddling around with gear. I see alot of wedding vids with flying cameras and 35mm adapters but that's just not our style- I think it's very important to define your style to separate yourself from the pack.

Anyway, regarding the cameras- any of the one's with ENG lenses would suit my work. Any of the JVC's (especially the new HM700), Panny HPX300, Sony EX3.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Justin,

I'm just entering the world of HD weddings - tomorrow I'm supposed to receive my FX1000. My thinking was that HD200 is a little too much for me at once. I'd rather work out all the quirks regarding the equipment and computer first without worrying too much about the camera itself. I know that FX1000 will be good to start with since I'm coming from VX2100.

Once I'm ready for the 2nd upgrade I'll make my FX as B-can and grab something more complicated for A-cam.

Thanks again for all the replies.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques