DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   DVX 100 for weddings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/14445-dvx-100-weddings.html)

Hugh DiMauro September 12th, 2003 06:18 AM

DVX 100 for weddings

Has anyone used the AG DVX for wedding videography? How has it worked out as far as ease of use, results? Any info would be helpful. I cannot use my XL1s any longer. I get back aches one hour into the shoot.

Rob Wilson September 12th, 2003 07:30 AM

Shot as second cam with a DVX 100 at a wedding about a month ago. First time I had used one and only had a couple of minutes to familiarize myself with the cam so I'm sure with a little more time I could have really exploited the features of this cam. Bottom line was - GREAT CAM, especially at the low light levels of the recepetion. I would highly recommend it.

Esteban Sosa September 12th, 2003 08:12 AM

I just shot a wedding using two DVX-100s. Both cameras were set on the F5 Progressive setting. Below are some of the details of the shoot:

THE GOOD:
Excellent image quality. Excellent wide angle use for tight spots such as the limo ride. Big flip-out screen for easy view of all settings. Manual focus allowed for some very creative and controlled shots. Footage is absolutely the best I have ever shot and the best I have ever seen coming out of a MiniDV camera. The two XLR inputs are a real blessing because I was able to control a phantom powered K6/ME66 as well as wireless lav as well.

THE BAD:
One of the cameras even though it was set to manual preset white balance (5.6 I believe instead of the 3.2 setting) kept shifting white balance so color was shifting a little. Audio was a constant monitoring and adjusting due to low and high levels all day long. Focus was a constant issue all day long and by the end of the night my arms, shoulders, neck were killing me.

Overall I would have to say that the camera is my prefferred choice for any events I now shoot. Yes there is the facture of constantly adjusting focus and audio so you will be drained by the end of the night, but it is all worth it. The DVX-100 is also smaller than the XL-1 so it was much easier to get into smaller spots and more the camera all day long but because it is smaller and not shoulder mounted, it does shake more because you are holding it as opposed to bracing it on your body. When all is over though you will love the footage 100%.

Once I'm done editing the footage I'll send stills this way.

Stephen van Vuuren September 12th, 2003 09:43 AM

There are several threads here with posts & clips from wedding videographers.

Mathew Evan September 12th, 2003 10:49 AM

I just ordered one for mostly wedding purposes and hope for the best. It seems that finally someone designed a palmcorder that has enough pro features to satisfy those of us unable to afford a shoulder cam. I was tempted by the pd150 but I hate those gummy focus dials. It also seems to have some problems with clipping audio in extreme cases.

Regarding the audio: I have heard mixed responses. The built in ALC should take care of excessive levels right? In the WEVA review, the reviewer states that he used the dvx right in front of the dj's speaker and experienced no distortion. However I've read here and on the WEVA message boards that this is not the case. What levels are you usually keeping audio set at?

Hugh DiMauro September 12th, 2003 02:19 PM

Thank you . The AG DVX100 it is!