DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Coollights LED for Reception Lighting? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/144977-coollights-led-reception-lighting.html)

Jonathan Bufkin March 3rd, 2009 05:19 AM

Coollights LED for Reception Lighting?

These new portable lights are getting a lot of attention over in the "Photon Management" section. What do you guys think about using them for reception lighting at weddings? Will it produce enough light for a typical reception? Anyone using them now? I have been looking at getting some additional lighting and came across this.

Here is the link.

LED Series - Cool Lights USA

Nicholas de Kock March 4th, 2009 03:28 AM

I would like to know the same thing, have posted the question but still don't have any clear answers, so won't be buying until someone gives me a visual demonstration of what these lights can do.

Jonathan Bufkin March 4th, 2009 05:10 AM

Thanks for responding Nicholas. I'm with you on that. I am definitely looking for something that doesn't require a belt battery pack or a wall plug if at all possible. Have you come across other options in your research?

Don Bloom March 4th, 2009 06:23 AM

I yet to see a light of a wattage high enough to be of any real use for a recepiton that isn't either AC powered or powered by a rather large battery. The lights powered by a smallcam battery generally aren't powerful enough to be of any use. I have on rare occassion used an Anton Bauer Ultralight with a 75W bulb plugged into a Bescor dual battery belt that is hooked to the light stand as a FILL light only onthe backside of the dance floor for the 1st dance, F/D and M/S dance only. After that it's gone as the floor is too crowded for the light to be of any use. Even 75W is very limited and of very little use although it does work for certain venues I shhot in. That with my oncamera LP Micro work well. BUT...today a lot of the DJs I work with are useing LED lighting which is absolutely great IMO to work with. Bright, clean, doesn't affect exposure in the wrong way and frankly I love it. I haven't set up 2ndary lighting for a long time to me it's not worth it-the help is minimal and I hate carrying the extra stuff with me.

Lukas Siewior March 4th, 2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1022005)
BUT...today a lot of the DJs I work with are useing LED lighting which is absolutely great IMO to work with. Bright, clean, doesn't affect exposure in the wrong way and frankly I love it. I haven't set up 2ndary lighting for a long time to me it's not worth it-the help is minimal and I hate carrying the extra stuff with me.

Agree with Don. I love how DJ's and band add their "disco lights". Help's us create more interesting shoots with less struggle - as long as you have on-camera light running.

Don, what kind of LED light do u use on your camera? How is it on a dark dance floor?

Jonathan Bufkin March 4th, 2009 07:04 AM

I have an LP Micro as well but that doesn't always provide enough light for me and not all of the DJ's I work with use enough lighting in their setup. So you guys don't bring much additional lighting other than your camera lights?

Peter Manojlovic March 4th, 2009 08:41 AM

If i may add.....

I haven't seen the price of all the lovely accessories that come into being to make this work....Too expensive IMHO..

I'd personally go with a lowell light in the corner or backwall of the reception room to get any workable lighting....

Don Bloom March 4th, 2009 09:05 AM

I use the LP Micro with the diffusion and the 1/4 CTO filters. Although it's only 25W and with the filters it's really about 20W with the PD170 at 1/60th f/1.6 and even up to +12db gain (gotta love the PD series) it works just fine. Even when the floor is dark I don't shoot from 20 feet away. I'm one that gets onto the floor and gets in to about 8 feet or less. I have a good time with the people and they don't seem to mind. The LP Micro is soft enough and since it's dimmable I can bring it down when necessary. I really like to travel light to a reception. A lot of couples have asked me if I bring auxillary lighting to the reception and when I ask if they want me to they all say "no, we understand it might be dark but that's how it will be so we want it to be that". I DO use gain to help when it's needed. I really like the LP Micro, I DO wish it was a bit stronger but I used to use the AB ULtralight with a 30W bulb and a softbox so it's not really too far different.

Lukas Siewior March 4th, 2009 09:37 AM

Thx Don,

I do the same at the dance floor - wonder around the dancing couples - you might capture some funny moments - some couples when they see the camera start making funny faces, etc :-)