DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Zoom blew up from static electricity! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/145491-zoom-blew-up-static-electricity.html)

Dan Shallenberger March 9th, 2009 08:47 PM

Zoom blew up from static electricity!

Ok, I had my Zoom H2 plugged into the board at the church, and it was recording. I went to check it before the processional was starting to make sure the levels for the processional music would be fine, and when I picked it up, a static shock killed it. It won't even power on now. It's dead. Fortunately it costs less now than when I bought it, so replacing it won't hurt quite as bad.

This happen to anyone else?

Tom Alexander March 9th, 2009 09:40 PM

Wow, that's terrible. I've never heard of that happening before. I realize that they are not THAT expensive, but that's still $160-$180 or so that you really weren't planning to spend.

Out of curiosity, was it under warranty? I realize that this would be considered accidental damage by most companies and therefore not covered, but its worth a try to call them and tell them what happened. Some companies will go the extra mile with their customer service.

Dan Shallenberger March 10th, 2009 12:04 AM

I did wonder if they would fix it just to be nice, or for a lower price than buying new, but my warranty has expired. So, no go.

And right now, with wedding season just shy of kicking into gear, $160 is a lot of money now. But, it's such an awesome tool I can't do my next wedding without it. So, I'll be ordering likely this week.

Dana Salsbury March 10th, 2009 12:40 PM

What a bummer!

They do have them at Guitar Center if you have one nearby.

Jack Tran March 10th, 2009 03:21 PM

Wow, didnt even know static shock could do something like that to the zoom.

I guess ive gotten lucky in the past when ive accidentally plug in mics to 48v phantom without any damage. I thought something as severe as 48v would kill it, but static shock? Amazing.

Brian Boyko March 16th, 2009 10:30 AM

I think something similar happened to me when I was filming in New Zealand; I plugged the Zoom into the wall when the batteries ran out, without thinking that maybe the AC adapter wouldn't be able to handle the load...

Completely fried.

I'm thinking about whether I should replace it with another H2 or get an Edirol or something.

Dana Salsbury March 18th, 2009 12:33 AM

I haven't had any of mine blow up, but one did go "poof" as somebody's five-finger discount!

Dan Shallenberger March 18th, 2009 07:28 AM

Yeah, I always worry a little about the 5-finger discount, but we don't have much choice but to leave things sitting around unattended. When I take my laptop on a shoot, I always use my Kensington cable lock, but everything else is out in the open.