Zoom blew up from static electricity! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 9th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Zoom blew up from static electricity!

Ok, I had my Zoom H2 plugged into the board at the church, and it was recording. I went to check it before the processional was starting to make sure the levels for the processional music would be fine, and when I picked it up, a static shock killed it. It won't even power on now. It's dead. Fortunately it costs less now than when I bought it, so replacing it won't hurt quite as bad.

This happen to anyone else?
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Wow, that's terrible. I've never heard of that happening before. I realize that they are not THAT expensive, but that's still $160-$180 or so that you really weren't planning to spend.

Out of curiosity, was it under warranty? I realize that this would be considered accidental damage by most companies and therefore not covered, but its worth a try to call them and tell them what happened. Some companies will go the extra mile with their customer service.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #3
Major Player

I did wonder if they would fix it just to be nice, or for a lower price than buying new, but my warranty has expired. So, no go.

And right now, with wedding season just shy of kicking into gear, $160 is a lot of money now. But, it's such an awesome tool I can't do my next wedding without it. So, I'll be ordering likely this week.
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #4
Major Player

What a bummer!

They do have them at Guitar Center if you have one nearby.
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Wow, didnt even know static shock could do something like that to the zoom.

I guess ive gotten lucky in the past when ive accidentally plug in mics to 48v phantom without any damage. I thought something as severe as 48v would kill it, but static shock? Amazing.
Jack Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Major Player

I think something similar happened to me when I was filming in New Zealand; I plugged the Zoom into the wall when the batteries ran out, without thinking that maybe the AC adapter wouldn't be able to handle the load...

Completely fried.

I'm thinking about whether I should replace it with another H2 or get an Edirol or something.
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #7
Major Player

I haven't had any of mine blow up, but one did go "poof" as somebody's five-finger discount!
Old March 18th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Major Player

Yeah, I always worry a little about the 5-finger discount, but we don't have much choice but to leave things sitting around unattended. When I take my laptop on a shoot, I always use my Kensington cable lock, but everything else is out in the open.
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques