framerate for weddings... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks Matt for the few pointers. I'll need to be conscious when shooting with the various gear.

Do you have a recent clip that you shot in 24f? wouldn't mind checking out what type of shots you accomplished with fluidity.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Wilky View Post
Thanks Matt for the few pointers. I'll need to be conscious when shooting with the various gear.

Do you have a recent clip that you shot in 24f? wouldn't mind checking out what type of shots you accomplished with fluidity.
Yes. This clip was all 24 and the only shot that looked a little jittery on tv was the pan that you see in the salon. I typically don't use any pans but ended up doing that for this edit so any pans I do in the future will be a little slower.

Hannah + Jimmie opening segment MEDIAINNOVATIONS CINEMATOGRAPHY BLOG
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks Matt, it helps me build confidence when i see other people's work done using 24f.

Very nice piece BTW.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
I use the EX1 and shoot 720/50p shutter off. Looks great downconverted for SD and slow-mo looks good.
Give it a go
Correct Simon. I meant 720 50P. I don't shoot interlaced. Ever.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #20
Regular Crew

wow...I'm surprised...I thought most people shot in 24f...not so I guess...even more surprised that people shoot 60i. Does anyone mix frame rates? It seems to me that perhaps I would like to use 60i for "flying" shots but would prefer 24 or 30 for most the stationary stuff. would this look bad on output? I guess I should try it and find out but was wondering if anyone has experience doing this....
Andrew Dryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #21
New Boot

I shoot 24p and it come out great. check out my latest highlight

Imperial Video Production and Motion Graphics
Vinny Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rotter View Post
what do you guys prefer, 30 or 60? i personally do not like the 60 look, as it is too video-looking.
Steve - it's not you, it's them. You've got to please the client, and a young couple might be choosing you because you 'get film that looks so natural' or somesuch. And generally 50i (for us in PAL land) gives the cleanest, smoothest footage that we can muck about with in post should we want to.

I'm with Craig's three points on this one, the thinking being that this couple in all probability have never been 'properly' filmed before and certainly never seen themselves smoothly edited into a beginning, middle and end movie. So now they get the chance to see themselves in a very romantic light – beautifully framed and centre stage of their day. I'm not sure that many of my couples would appreciate the finer points of progressive and so on, but I'm quite sure my 'video look' is a look they've not seen themselves in before.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #23
Trustee

I shoot 60i with no regrets. With the amount of running around in shooting wedding videos, I have no desire to worry about motion judder and bad slomo.

And it's not like any clients are demanding 24p. Most of them have no idea what it is...
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #24
Major Player

I would never shoot a wedding on 24 or 25P. You are asking for problems.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I know this is probably a dumb question...but after reading these posts I thought I would try shooting with my XHA1 set on 60i. I got home and looked at the results and am not very happy...everytime people move or there is motion in the shot the edges get jagged. Do I need to deinterlace or something? I am using a firestore and am viewing the quicktime files it creates. I just got a HV20 to use as a back up b roll cam and was planning on shooting 60i with the A1 to make matching the footage easier, but the test results weren't very impressive. I assume there is a setting I am missing since I really like a lot of the work I have seen of people on here who are shooting 60i. Any tips would be appreciated...
Andy
Old March 14th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dryden View Post
I know this is probably a dumb question...but after reading these posts I thought I would try shooting with my XHA1 set on 60i. I got home and looked at the results and am not very happy...everytime people move or there is motion in the shot the edges get jagged. Do I need to deinterlace or something? I am using a firestore and am viewing the quicktime files it creates. I just got a HV20 to use as a back up b roll cam and was planning on shooting 60i with the A1 to make matching the footage easier, but the test results weren't very impressive. I assume there is a setting I am missing since I really like a lot of the work I have seen of people on here who are shooting 60i. Any tips would be appreciated...
Andy
If you are seeing this with 60i, make sure your shutter speed is set to 1/60. Anything less (or slower , 1/30) will give that jagged or ghosting look even with 60i.
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Andy
Hey Andy,
Just stick with 30F for today since your use to that. You can always deinterlace the hv20 footage to match it. There will be resolution lost but if you use it as a safety cam it will work perfect. I'll see if I can send you a link showing it in action. The best feature of 60i is being able to get smooth slow motion. Also there is no judder with that frame rate. If your not using it for slow motion and don't like the look of 60i, 30P/F is great as it's between 60i and 24P. You know that already though. :)
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Monday- Sounds like good advice...that is what I came to last night after reading posts until the early am :-) Also, I realized that the jagged edges are probably because I was viewing the footage on an LCD computer monitor, so if I understand things correctly (cross my fingers here) it might have something to do with that. Reading another post it sounded like LCD monitors only display progressive images...which is different from TV's. I look forward to growing into the equipment I have and understand how/why to shoot at the different framerates. So far the advice I have gleaned from the board points to:

Action stuff (sports):60i
Weddingish:30p/f
Feature filmish stuff:24f/p

I know there are lots of variations on this and it is personal taste/choice, but for a while I think I will concentrate on these settings. I really appreciate this board and all the information that is shared...learning is probably my favorite part of this endeavour.
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
...So far the advice I have gleaned from the board points to:

Action stuff (sports):60i
Weddingish:30p/f
Feature filmish stuff:24f/p
Hey Andrew,
How did your shoot go? What did you end up doing? Just to clarify there are many companies I know that use 24P successfully for their wedding films. In the end it's just what your more comfortable with. You definitely have the right idea above.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Monday-
Just got back from the shoot...and I'll be interested to see how the footage looks. I ended up going 30f like you suggested. I'll be interested to see how the HV20 stuff mixes in. Now that I am sitting here I think I may have left it on 24p. Hopefully I won't need it much. For audio I plugged an iriver into the church's sound board and then had a backup wireless system on the groom going direct into my cam. Unfortunately there was a loose connection or something on the church's officiant mic causing it to cut in and out. The sound guy thought it was my wireless interfering (although we had checked it at the rehearsal) and asked me to shut my mic down...which was a bummer because it was the only mic functioning at that point. When he figured out it wasn't me he let me turn it back on...so hopefully I can blend something together. Anyways, thanks for the encouragement and thanks for asking about the shoot. Everytime I do this I am reminded how difficult non-repeatable events are!! Also, probably like every person on the learning curve I look at those ahead of me and get jealous...I want to do amazing shots etc, but for now I guess the basics will have to suffice :) I'll post a highlights in the next week or two and send you the link for your thoughts. Thanks,
Andy
Andrew Dryden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques