DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Conversation during shoot? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/145626-conversation-during-shoot.html)

Alex Sprinkle March 11th, 2009 03:59 PM

Conversation during shoot?

Does anyone here converse with their other shooters during the ceremony? For example, something goes unaccording to the plan, and you need cam1 to become your tight while cam2 drops to wide. Too bad they're all the way across the church and you can't tell them. Do you have headsets to send direction? Anyone? Does it ever interfere with the wireless mics?

I've used my phone/bluetooth combo with a friend before, but I'm sure there's a better way.

Stephen J. Williams March 11th, 2009 06:26 PM

I dont know the answer to your question. But i liked the "hand gun" video. Pretty good idea.

Matt Bishop March 11th, 2009 07:26 PM

Alex,
I've been using the eartec wireless systems for over a year now and can't imagine going without them. Any form of communication is a huge help. Half of the weddings I shoot with my wife and we usually know what each other is doing, but the other half are with other assistants and I need to be communicating with them. It makes shooting easier and editing easier because i have the variety of shots that I need. IMO It's not only good for those unexpected moments, but helps tremendously with making the most out of all the shots you are getting.

I've used two way radios too and they work as well but the eartec are simply easier and completely hands free. Either way , its a great advantage to have that communication! I've never had any problems with interference of my own wireless mics or any others. You can always change the frequencies on any decent radio or the eartec systems.

Matt

Matt Bishop March 11th, 2009 07:35 PM

Here's a little more on this topic -

Radio communication device - The Digital Video Information Network

Matthew Craggs March 12th, 2009 07:03 AM

For every two camera shoot I have ever done we have worked out a series of hand signals that are used to indicate tape change, get the speaker, I'm relocating, etc. That has always worked fine for me, but I would still welcome some sort of wireless headset system for this purpose.

Alex Sprinkle March 12th, 2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Bishop (Post 1026314)

thanks, don't know how i missed that

Jason Robinson March 13th, 2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle (Post 1026204)
Does anyone here converse with their other shooters during the ceremony? For example, something goes unaccording to the plan, and you need cam1 to become your tight while cam2 drops to wide. Too bad they're all the way across the church and you can't tell them. Do you have headsets to send direction? Anyone? Does it ever interfere with the wireless mics?

I've used my phone/bluetooth combo with a friend before, but I'm sure there's a better way.

I purchased 4 of the best GMRS radios I coudl get. Cost me nearly $400, but I have used 3 at a time and the work fantastically for getting in touch with shooters.... as long as teh other shooter isnt'; standing 5' from the pipe organ. :-)

Granted, environment noise filters in quite a bit (unlike what I assume happens with a beefy Eartech setup). But to cover 4 shooters and have great range, there isn't anything better (IMO).