DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   SWIT on-camera lights - anyone using? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/146016-swit-camera-lights-anyone-using.html)

Peter Rush March 17th, 2009 08:24 AM

SWIT on-camera lights - anyone using?

Hi All

I was thinking of buying a Sony HVL-LBP for like £350 when I came across one of these

VideoGear.co.uk - SWIT S-2010F LED toplight For Sony Camcorders

Anyone using these? They look to have a pretty good spec. for about £150 cheaper

Pete

David Johns March 17th, 2009 04:33 PM

I have the Swit S2010, a slightly different version from the one you mention that plugs directly into the battery instead of using that additional battery holder. You have to use the Swit equivalent battery to the NPF970 with the socket for the light (S8972 I think). ProActive (proav.co.uk) know the one I mean, it comes as a package deal of light and battery.

The light works very well, I'm really pleased with it. Seems solidly built and is nice and bright, though of course it only works on what you're pointing it directly at.

Incidentally, a friend of mine doesn't rate the Sony HVL-LBP because the bit of the bracket that slots into the cold shoe is very fragile and breaks easily due to the weight of the unit. He's had two break in this way, rendering them useless.

Regards
Dave

Peter Manojlovic March 17th, 2009 04:51 PM

At first play, i was sort of surprised with the S-2010...

It's light is more narrower than what i had bargained for..The LED's by nature seem to give off a more sharp and annoying light compared to my 30watt halogen..

But considering i don't need my powerbelts anymore, it's a welcome change..

Paul Kellett March 17th, 2009 05:28 PM

I use the swit s-200 on my EX1, i power it from the swit battery which powers the camera and light, via a D-tap connector.
I'm very pleased with it.
It easily throws a wide enough light for my EX1, no dark spots, comes with a diffuser, the led's are 5600k balanced and there's also a flip down 3200k filter which can also be used with or without the diffuser.
Without the 3200k flipped down and with the diffuser it easily lights up wedding dances.
Without the diffuser it'll throw a beam/spot a good 20 metres and about 8ft wide.
The light unit itself is slightly shorter than a redbull can and about the same thickness and very light.
On the back is a dimmer and an on/off switch.
Very simple to use and seems quite well built.

Paul.

Oleg Kalyan March 18th, 2009 12:29 AM

I have two of them, it's small and pretty strong for it's size,
it has a diffuser and warm filter,
I like the fact it's 5600K, can add a little highlight during daytime without getting yellow,
it can be a little harsh, without diffuser, have to regulate it's intensity..

Peter Rush March 18th, 2009 02:03 AM

Thanks everyone - I'm ordering one today

Pete

Taky Cheung April 27th, 2009 12:16 PM

I also have the SWIT S-2010. I use it with the Canon XH-A1. Very please with the output, dimmer switch, and the flexibility to use the barn door and filters. I am bought a second one at Varizoom (same thing) for $299. Ordering a third one now at that same price.