SWIT on-camera lights - anyone using? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 17th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #1
Inner Circle

SWIT on-camera lights - anyone using?

Hi All

I was thinking of buying a Sony HVL-LBP for like £350 when I came across one of these

VideoGear.co.uk - SWIT S-2010F LED toplight For Sony Camcorders

Anyone using these? They look to have a pretty good spec. for about £150 cheaper

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the Swit S2010, a slightly different version from the one you mention that plugs directly into the battery instead of using that additional battery holder. You have to use the Swit equivalent battery to the NPF970 with the socket for the light (S8972 I think). ProActive (proav.co.uk) know the one I mean, it comes as a package deal of light and battery.

The light works very well, I'm really pleased with it. Seems solidly built and is nice and bright, though of course it only works on what you're pointing it directly at.

Incidentally, a friend of mine doesn't rate the Sony HVL-LBP because the bit of the bracket that slots into the cold shoe is very fragile and breaks easily due to the weight of the unit. He's had two break in this way, rendering them useless.

Regards
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #3
Major Player

At first play, i was sort of surprised with the S-2010...

It's light is more narrower than what i had bargained for..The LED's by nature seem to give off a more sharp and annoying light compared to my 30watt halogen..

But considering i don't need my powerbelts anymore, it's a welcome change..
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #4
Trustee

I use the swit s-200 on my EX1, i power it from the swit battery which powers the camera and light, via a D-tap connector.
I'm very pleased with it.
It easily throws a wide enough light for my EX1, no dark spots, comes with a diffuser, the led's are 5600k balanced and there's also a flip down 3200k filter which can also be used with or without the diffuser.
Without the 3200k flipped down and with the diffuser it easily lights up wedding dances.
Without the diffuser it'll throw a beam/spot a good 20 metres and about 8ft wide.
The light unit itself is slightly shorter than a redbull can and about the same thickness and very light.
On the back is a dimmer and an on/off switch.
Very simple to use and seems quite well built.

Paul.
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #5
Major Player

I have two of them, it's small and pretty strong for it's size,
it has a diffuser and warm filter,
I like the fact it's 5600K, can add a little highlight during daytime without getting yellow,
it can be a little harsh, without diffuser, have to regulate it's intensity..
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks everyone - I'm ordering one today

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I also have the SWIT S-2010. I use it with the Canon XH-A1. Very please with the output, dimmer switch, and the flexibility to use the barn door and filters. I am bought a second one at Varizoom (same thing) for $299. Ordering a third one now at that same price.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques