Influential Wedding Videographer - Page 3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #31
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 789
I wonder if Chris H would be so kind enough to come out with our very own DVI top 30 list, we can send in our votes.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #32
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: College Park, Maryland
Posts: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
I wonder if Chris H would be so kind enough to come out with our very own DVI top 30 list, we can send in our votes.
If he did Noel it would have to be by categories. This place is diverse with event videography, film makers, DOP's, and many more. It would be hard to do in my opinion. It is a cool idea though.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #33
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 789
You are right Monday. Wedding/event Videographers perhaps. Just throwing it in.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #34
Trustee
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 1,400
Images: 5
All we need is another top whatever list. The last thing I want is to have people here sending me messages to vote for them on the DVI top 30 list. We can leave that kinda thing to other places.

Now if they want to award cash prizes I might reconsider and get out my best policing hat and start shaking hands and kissing babies.
__________________

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #35
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
All we need is another top whatever list. The last thing I want is to have people here sending me messages to vote for them on the DVI top 30 list. We can leave that kinda thing to other places.

Now if they want to award cash prizes I might reconsider and get out my best policing hat and start shaking hands and kissing babies.
Ethan did people really send you messages asking for votes?
I didn't realize people did that.
__________________
Terry Taravella
studiovc.com & infocusvideoevent.com
Terry Taravella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #36
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
I know of at least one person who received emails with vote requests. It's kind of weird, but at the same time I suppose I understand it. There are A LOT of potential candidates and A LOT of people who never even hear of the voting. That's why I tried to make a post on here back when the voting started, but it disappeared (shhhhh). I don't suppose there's anything wrong with contacting people to let them know about the voting ... seems like a lot of work though to go and contact everyone.

I like the idea of a DVinfo "top whatever" list, but I tend to doubt that kind of venture will be smiled on here. Doesn't hurt to propose it though, I guess.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:28 AM   #37
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London
Posts: 313
I doubt it would work on here Travis!

Unfortunately I fear there would be too many votes based on friendship and familiarity if you get what I mean!

Cheers

John De Rienzo
__________________
De Rienzo Films
www.derienzo-films.co.uk
John De Rienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:57 AM   #38
Trustee
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 1,400
Images: 5
Terry - it hasn't happened to me here because there is nothing to vote on here but I've had countless "vote for my this or that" emails or notices or whatever from other sites. (not all video related mind you) I think having a contest would open the door for that type of thing here. Not so long ago when the top 25 voting for another place was announced there was a post put up here that was subsequently taken down where someone was basically asking for votes in a nice way.
__________________

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:58 PM   #39
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Manila
Posts: 317
I would love to see more Filipinos on the list, especially Mayad and Bob Nicolas.

Oh well, a year, isn't that far too long to wait. =)
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:11 AM   #40
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Manila
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
What I'd really like to see is a vote by the people that are in a position to hire a videographer rather than those that produce them. Take a cross-section of future couples from around the country and send them a stack of DVD's - not highlights, not trailers. Final products. Tell them to decide, price notwithstanding, which one appeals to them most and has the most perceived value. That is what its all about if you want to keep doing this for any length of time - perceived value. It doesn't matter if the content has substance (i.e. "the new doc" style) or is strictly eye candy. Whatever is perceived as having the most value at the moment they sign the contract is deserving of recognition. What I see happening all too often is that what is different gets the attention of fellow videographers. Different isn't always better or more profitable, but in our self-contained microcosm that's what makes us take notice. I believe we need to find out what the people that hire us think, not what our peers think. That would end all discussion about who is deserving of being recognized.
I know how this suggestion just really wants to legitimize the list or somehow assure that the honorees are well deserving.

But I've always viewed the EV25 list as a peer award rather than "people's choice."
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:12 AM   #41
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Terry - it hasn't happened to me here because there is nothing to vote on here but I've had countless "vote for my this or that" emails or notices or whatever from other sites. (not all video related mind you) I think having a contest would open the door for that type of thing here. Not so long ago when the top 25 voting for another place was announced there was a post put up here that was subsequently taken down where someone was basically asking for votes in a nice way.
That was me. I caught wind that the EventDV25 voting was open. I had never participated before because I never knew when the vote was. So I voted for my fav's (all of them made it - woot!), and then thought I might as well post about the voting here, and I ended up saying something like "I wouldn't mind if some votes were tossed my way" at the end of the post. It was half-joking/half-serious, but it didn't matter because the post disappeared within like 5 minutes.

Perhaps it was deleted because of that last bit. If so, that really sucks because my whole intention was to simply let everyone here know that the voting was open ... because no one had ever informed me in the past. Oh well, the post was deleted and I was never told why. Someone else mentioned to me that in a previous year they had try to post about the vote on here and their post was deleted as well. Perhaps it's viewed as advertising somehow?

I don't know. d:-)
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM   #42
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: College Park, Maryland
Posts: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
That was me. I caught wind that the EventDV25 voting was open. I had never participated before because I never knew when the vote was. So I voted for my fav's (all of them made it - woot!), and then thought I might as well post about the voting here, and I ended up saying something like "I wouldn't mind if some votes were tossed my way" at the end of the post. It was half-joking/half-serious, but it didn't matter because the post disappeared within like 5 minutes.

Perhaps it was deleted because of that last bit. If so, that really sucks because my whole intention was to simply let everyone here know that the voting was open ... because no one had ever informed me in the past. Oh well, the post was deleted and I was never told why. Someone else mentioned to me that in a previous year they had try to post about the vote on here and their post was deleted as well. Perhaps it's viewed as advertising somehow?

I don't know. d:-)
Well Travis, we are already border line with what we do with music so I can see why the posts would disappear. The best thing is for us to follow eventdv to see when the next time comes to vote. I hope Mayad and Oleg hit it big.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:46 AM   #43
Trustee
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Houma, La.
Posts: 1,400
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua View Post
But I've always viewed the EV25 list as a peer award rather than "people's choice."
That's a good way of putting it.
__________________

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:54 AM   #44
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 656
Can someone compile a list of the top 25s average wedding revenue? Maybe taken from a price list on their websites?

I would also be interested in the number of people involved in the shoots and editing for some of these awesome productions.

I am just curious if any of the top producers are putting out the high end products at a less than high end cost.
__________________
Panasonic HMC150/Canon A1/JVC HD1/Sony Vegas 8.0c
Jeff Kellam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM   #45
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
Can someone compile a list of the top 25s average wedding revenue? Maybe taken from a price list on their websites?

I would also be interested in the number of people involved in the shoots and editing for some of these awesome productions.

I am just curious if any of the top producers are putting out the high end products at a less than high end cost.
I know Jason Magbanua does 100 weddings a year at $ 3500 a pop. This is really high end considering the average income is $ 300/month back home. 3 shooters, SDE. So my Philippine standard Jmags is a multi-millionaire around 15M. Sorry Jmags =)


Still Motion I think is $ 4,500 with 40 weddings? They are being selective I think. 3 shooters no SDE

It's just an estimate.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:09 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network