Influential Wedding Videographer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 19th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Influential Wedding Videographer

I know that the top 25 list went out, I have not memorized the list but there are others worthy of being on the list or would have made it if it were top 30. Here's my list in no particular order 5 others if it is top 30.

1. Josh Green
2. Kevin- Pacific Pictures
3. Oleg Kalyan
4. Danny O' Neill
5. SiChung - SODE
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
3. Oleg Kalyan
Oleg will be on the list next year. Book it :)
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Totally agree... with the Kevin one. The indian concept video is in a whole new league and while the product may not have the same commercial reach as a bog standard wedding video it just shows that there is more to what we all do than film, stick it on a DVD and run away with the money.

I dream about producing something just as good, but fear I may just embarass myself.
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #4
Major Player

totally agree with that...

ESPECIALLY love Oleg's work....really damn amazing! shoots amazing stuff no matter what couple or weather conditions!!!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Agree... Kevin and Oleg are well deserving of making that list.

I would also like to see Mayad Studios in that list at some point in time.
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Major Player

What I'd really like to see is a vote by the people that are in a position to hire a videographer rather than those that produce them. Take a cross-section of future couples from around the country and send them a stack of DVD's - not highlights, not trailers. Final products. Tell them to decide, price notwithstanding, which one appeals to them most and has the most perceived value. That is what its all about if you want to keep doing this for any length of time - perceived value. It doesn't matter if the content has substance (i.e. "the new doc" style) or is strictly eye candy. Whatever is perceived as having the most value at the moment they sign the contract is deserving of recognition. What I see happening all too often is that what is different gets the attention of fellow videographers. Different isn't always better or more profitable, but in our self-contained microcosm that's what makes us take notice. I believe we need to find out what the people that hire us think, not what our peers think. That would end all discussion about who is deserving of being recognized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
I know that the top 25 list went out, I have not memorized the list but there are others worthy of being on the list or would have made it if it were top 30. Here's my list in no particular order 5 others if it is top 30.

1. Josh Green
2. Kevin- Pacific Pictures
3. Oleg Kalyan
4. Danny O' Neill
5. SiChung - SODE
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Noel, I will agree with 90% of that list!

Oleg a certainty.

Cheers,

John De Rienzo
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Major Player

Please tell me Ian Lim is on this list....he's got such natural talent!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks a lot, everyone, for supporting me, words of encouragement are very important,
mean a lot to me!

Great thing is that in the process of this selection I got to see some excellent work of the colleagues that was not aware of before.

William Gaff @ Human Story Films wrote about me, thanks to him!
Featured Filmmaker, Oleg Kalyan Weddingbee PRO The Wedding Vendor Blog

Joel
"What I'd really like to see is a vote by the people that are in a position to hire a videographer rather than those that produce them."

Not quite agree, I can tell you by Russian and some European market that lots of the clients do not know what they really want, in my experience, they go for our artistic vision, that can be based on some previous work, but not nessesarily, in essence everyone prefers original, that do not duplicate previous work.
That's the ideal!

Documetary and eye candy both have it's place, if executed well, yet I feel that there is a need to go beyond developed predictable pattern, the form, go for the substance, that makes both us and the clients more happy at the end and we leave something more of a timeless.

CHeers!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Major Player

I think its important to remember the top 25 is the top 25 Influential videographers, not the best. These are the people we all watch and draw inspiration from and feel inspired by their work.

I am not familiar with the work of many of the top 25 but those I am do indeed inspire me to do better. Hope I can learn from them at re:frame :)
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
Not quite agree, I can tell you by Russian and some European market that lots of the clients do not know what they really want, in my experience, they go for our artistic vision, that can be based on some previous work, but not nessesarily, in essence everyone prefers original, that do not duplicate previous work. That's the ideal! Documentary and eye candy both have it's place, if executed well, yet I feel that there is a need to go beyond developed predictable pattern, the form, go for the substance, that makes both us and the clients more happy at the end and we leave something more of a timeless.
CHeers!
I'm speaking strictly from a recognition standpoint. The only way to be recognized is by what you've already done, not what you're capable of doing. And for a couple to take notice of you they will have needed to see something in your work that appealed to them. More often than not I'll hear from couples "we want it just like you did for their wedding", referring to a sample of mine they've seen. If they are going to invest in your work they want some assurances that it will look as good, be as comprehensive and have the same emotional impact as your samples.

(By the way - you're really doing a great job with your english!)
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Danny, good points, and therefore, from my perspective, I will definately conclude to 4 out of those five!

Cheers.
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #13
Major Player

Joel, thank you, got your point, good idea, not easy to realize...
Still think that selling point is not a greatest criteria to evaluate work and influence

I personally against ratings at all. In a large sense we all influence each other!

My English... I lived, studied and worked in the US for more than 10 years :)
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Andrew Melikov

Oleg for sure, but I would also like to add Andrew Melikov.

You can checkout his work on vimeo: http://vimeo.com/savemoment/videos
Luis Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #15
Major Player

I stumbled across savemoment the other day and really enjoy their work. Similar in parts to stillmotion but also different. Their productions seem to be more planned but I love it, really love it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques