DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   What controls to leave automatic for weddings? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/146310-what-controls-leave-automatic-weddings.html)

Joe Riggs March 21st, 2009 12:25 PM

What controls to leave automatic for weddings?

Whenever I have filmed a wedding so far, I use the camera in full manual mode. Obviously, I am constantly switching buttons, pulling focus, etc.. I was curious what controls others leave in automatic mode and why?

Thanks

Stephen J. Williams March 21st, 2009 12:47 PM

Iris is the only thing i leave in auto... gain and shutter are easy enough to control on the DVX100... I keep my focus in auto as well, but I keep a good eye to see if it starts to hunt...

Robert Bec March 21st, 2009 02:30 PM

I guess it comes down to which model of camera you use. I use the Z7 and it is in 100% manual mode i love being in control

Louis Maddalena March 21st, 2009 02:52 PM

Manual except for focus, although will switch to manual if the situation requires.

Vito DeFilippo March 21st, 2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams (Post 1031310)
Iris is the only thing i leave in auto...

Sorry, but I would NEVER leave iris on auto. Nothing looks more amateur to me then the look of the iris opening and closing automatically as you pan across windows or other changing light sources. And any backlit shots will be ruined with auto iris.

In running around, auto focus can be useful as modern cameras tend to do very well with it. But usually, I'm on complete manual control.

Nicholas de Kock March 21st, 2009 04:52 PM

Depends on situation, I usually shoot full manual except for focus with exceptions of course however when something happens very fast that requires quick thinking I turn to full automatic, either that or I lose the shot. Sometimes when I get tired I of monitoring audio I set my audio on automatic, in most cases my XHA1 does a good job.

Stephen J. Williams March 21st, 2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 1031360)
Sorry, but I would NEVER leave iris on auto. Nothing looks more amateur to me then the look of the iris opening and closing automatically as you pan across windows or other changing light sources. And any backlit shots will be ruined with auto iris.

In running around, auto focus can be useful as modern cameras tend to do very well with it. But usually, I'm on complete manual control.

I agree... thats why when I pan I quickly swap it over to manual. I guess I spend a little bit of time going back and forth between the two. But I would say a majority of the time it's left on auto.
For backlighting I have a user button that allows me to drop the aperture by 2 stops and expose for the subject.

Jason Magbanua March 21st, 2009 11:30 PM

full manual here except for the occasional auto WB.

Oleg Kalyan March 21st, 2009 11:34 PM

I keep Iris wide open most of the time, that would be AV..
exposure auto with manual lock, exposure compensation..

SiuChung Leung March 22nd, 2009 12:07 AM

Focus - mostly manual/ auto while on steadicam
iris - Manual indoor, auto outdoor
WB - Auto

Travis Cossel March 22nd, 2009 01:16 AM

I use full manual controls ... even when I'm on the steadicam usually. If I set anything to auto it's usually only focus and iris for specific steadicam shots.

Jason Robinson March 22nd, 2009 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Riggs (Post 1031299)
Whenever I have filmed a wedding so far, I use the camera in full manual mode. Obviously, I am constantly switching buttons, pulling focus, etc.. I was curious what controls others leave in automatic mode and why?

Thanks

When I gliding across the room on the glidecam, then I have to be hands off, so I put it in auto BUT only if I'll be changing lighting situations drastically. If I'm facing away from the major light source the whole time, then I'll fix it into manual mode.

For cams on stationary tripods, I keep things in manual. When using my .3 semi-fish-eye I have to manually fix the focus or else my GL2 will hunt a bit.

Asvaldur Kristjansson March 22nd, 2009 06:22 AM

I shoot full manual almost all the time. Sometimes, before hitting the record, I set the iris to auto just to test what the camera is suggesting is right and then I go back to manual. I use the Z1 WB on manual with the assign buttons stepping +/- depending on the light in the current frame. I use this WB shift to compensate against the blue tone when people are sitting near a window.

Michael Ojjeh March 22nd, 2009 09:16 AM

Full manual mode except when I am using the Glidecam I use the auto focus mode, even with that sometimes I use manual focus with the Glidecam if I keep the same distance to my subject so I can be off center with out going out of focus.

Franklin Bencosme March 22nd, 2009 09:23 AM

Focus auto,and audio(depends) some time at my Z5