What controls to leave automatic for weddings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 21st, 2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What controls to leave automatic for weddings?

Whenever I have filmed a wedding so far, I use the camera in full manual mode. Obviously, I am constantly switching buttons, pulling focus, etc.. I was curious what controls others leave in automatic mode and why?

Thanks
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Iris is the only thing i leave in auto... gain and shutter are easy enough to control on the DVX100... I keep my focus in auto as well, but I keep a good eye to see if it starts to hunt...
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 02:30 PM   #3
Major Player

I guess it comes down to which model of camera you use. I use the Z7 and it is in 100% manual mode i love being in control
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Manual except for focus, although will switch to manual if the situation requires.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
Iris is the only thing i leave in auto...
Sorry, but I would NEVER leave iris on auto. Nothing looks more amateur to me then the look of the iris opening and closing automatically as you pan across windows or other changing light sources. And any backlit shots will be ruined with auto iris.

In running around, auto focus can be useful as modern cameras tend to do very well with it. But usually, I'm on complete manual control.
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Depends on situation, I usually shoot full manual except for focus with exceptions of course however when something happens very fast that requires quick thinking I turn to full automatic, either that or I lose the shot. Sometimes when I get tired I of monitoring audio I set my audio on automatic, in most cases my XHA1 does a good job.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:50 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Sorry, but I would NEVER leave iris on auto. Nothing looks more amateur to me then the look of the iris opening and closing automatically as you pan across windows or other changing light sources. And any backlit shots will be ruined with auto iris.

In running around, auto focus can be useful as modern cameras tend to do very well with it. But usually, I'm on complete manual control.
I agree... thats why when I pan I quickly swap it over to manual. I guess I spend a little bit of time going back and forth between the two. But I would say a majority of the time it's left on auto.
For backlighting I have a user button that allows me to drop the aperture by 2 stops and expose for the subject.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:30 PM   #8
Major Player

full manual here except for the occasional auto WB.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:34 PM   #9
Major Player

I keep Iris wide open most of the time, that would be AV..
exposure auto with manual lock, exposure compensation..
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:07 AM   #10
Major Player

Focus - mostly manual/ auto while on steadicam
iris - Manual indoor, auto outdoor
WB - Auto
Old March 22nd, 2009, 01:16 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I use full manual controls ... even when I'm on the steadicam usually. If I set anything to auto it's usually only focus and iris for specific steadicam shots.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:12 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Riggs View Post
Whenever I have filmed a wedding so far, I use the camera in full manual mode. Obviously, I am constantly switching buttons, pulling focus, etc.. I was curious what controls others leave in automatic mode and why?

Thanks
When I gliding across the room on the glidecam, then I have to be hands off, so I put it in auto BUT only if I'll be changing lighting situations drastically. If I'm facing away from the major light source the whole time, then I'll fix it into manual mode.

For cams on stationary tripods, I keep things in manual. When using my .3 semi-fish-eye I have to manually fix the focus or else my GL2 will hunt a bit.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:22 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I shoot full manual almost all the time. Sometimes, before hitting the record, I set the iris to auto just to test what the camera is suggesting is right and then I go back to manual. I use the Z1 WB on manual with the assign buttons stepping +/- depending on the light in the current frame. I use this WB shift to compensate against the blue tone when people are sitting near a window.
Asvaldur Kristjansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:16 AM   #14
Major Player

Full manual mode except when I am using the Glidecam I use the auto focus mode, even with that sometimes I use manual focus with the Glidecam if I keep the same distance to my subject so I can be off center with out going out of focus.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:23 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Focus auto,and audio(depends) some time at my Z5
Franklin Bencosme is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques