Weddings and the Hand Held Shots, Can they coexist again. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Weddings and the Hand Held Shots, Can they coexist again.

Sorry for the stupid tag line.

Just wanted to know how everyone felt about hand held shots in wedding films, wobbly and not so wobbly.

We definitely vote for them.

Cheers

GMan
Gino Mancusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:11 AM   #2
Major Player

oh they most certainly do.

i love the dynamism, the feel, the "verite" of handheld.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:51 AM   #3
New Boot

USE HAND HELD SHOTS TOO!!! PLEASE....
Shooting at the reception would be near impossible to do solely on a tripod, and gee it would look boring.
Just make sure that your shots are'nt wobbly, and the only way to do that is to get out there and keep shooting. Get a camera that is big enough to help you with steadying up your shot and use the built in stabilizer (as long as it is a lens one and not a digital one).

Jump on the web and view other peoples work and get a feel for how they do their shots.

cheers,

ant...
Anthony Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua View Post
the "verite" of handheld.
I see someone went to film school... or read a few books. Keep dropping the knowledge Jason.

The easiest way to answer this question and any like it is that there can be a time and place for any production technique to be incorporated into your wedding videos it's just advisable to have a good feel for when to use them or not use them.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:49 AM   #5
New Boot

Handheld is a good. When needed.

Please! Why do we have do go with a set standard. if it works for you go for it. Don't lock yourself down on a tripod and lose a good shot. we have to go with the flow of the event.
Leon Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I like to mix handheld and tripod shots. The tiny quick wobble/shake movements is what I dont like. That comes from those small camcorders people are often using.
Asvaldur Kristjansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Major Player

I keep asking the same question, and so far came up with such a definition,
storytelling style/language suggests what means we use.
I love handheld, for subjective, personal POV story telling, noir, docu style, "nervous camera".

On the other hand tripod, slow slider, dolly, present things in more objective way, strong content needed to hold viewers attention.

Glidecam, stedicam with wide angle lenses with intense camera movement presents the
story,"graphically" or videographycally, quite often I see it as context becoming content.
It can be highly effective to show the beauty of surrounding, show B&G immersed in dynamic way in architecture and landscape. That's why it's very popular among our colleagues for cutting to music approach, form is essence. IMO

Ethan Cooper made a good point, use them all if and when you production allows you to do so,
most of the time I find that handheld is most natural way of getting unobtrusiv in all kind of wedding situarions.

Cheers!

Last edited by Oleg Kalyan; March 22nd, 2009 at 12:12 PM.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Most definitely handheld shots have a place on the wedding day. I probably shoot handheld 60-70% of the day. The important thing is to have 'steady' handheld shots. It's okay for the shot to have some subtle movement to it because that's what gives it that personal and intimate feel, but you don't want shake and wobble because that ends up distracting the viewer from the the content of the shot instead of adding to it.

Personally I think it's really important to film a mixture of shot styles and angles. That way during the edit you can varying the visuals in a meaningful way and provide more interest to the viewer.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Once the fun dances start (by fun, I mean after the formal dances of father/daughter, etc) - I usually go hand held for 95% of my shots. I try to get as many fun and interesting angles as I can. Since I shoot a ton of tape, I can then pick and choose what angles and dances work the best.

I'm also usually pretty good keeping a camera stable, and the new Sony's have a nice level feature right in the viewfinder - so it helps with keeping the camera steady.

Ryan
Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:24 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks to everyone for your replies, it is much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua View Post
oh they most certainly do.

i love the dynamism, the feel, the "verite" of handheld.
Jason, Love your work. Verite is the best way to describe it for us too. The feeling of "real" is an acknowledgment of the camera and it touches the audience on some kind of subconscious level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
I see someone went to film school... or read a few books. Keep dropping the knowledge Jason.

The easiest way to answer this question and any like it is that there can be a time and place for any production technique to be incorporated into your wedding videos it's just advisable to have a good feel for when to use them or not use them.
Ethan

I totally agree with you, thanks for adding your thoughts Ethan.

cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Sharpe View Post
USE HAND HELD SHOTS TOO!!! PLEASE....
Shooting at the reception would be near impossible to do solely on a tripod, and gee it would look boring.
Just make sure that your shots are'nt wobbly, and the only way to do that is to get out there and keep shooting. Get a camera that is big enough to help you with steadying up your shot and use the built in stabilizer (as long as it is a lens one and not a digital one).

Jump on the web and view other peoples work and get a feel for how they do their shots.

cheers,

ant...
Anthony, thanks for your reply. I understand your point about steady handheld shots. But what about shots that are purposefully wobbly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Johnson View Post
Please! Why do we have do go with a set standard. if it works for you go for it. Don't lock yourself down on a tripod and lose a good shot. we have to go with the flow of the event.
Holy cow Leon, you took the words out of my mouth. Seriously, we shoot tons of candid moments and the only way to get them is by going hand held. Thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asvaldur Kristjansson View Post
I like to mix handheld and tripod shots. The tiny quick wobble/shake movements is what I dont like. That comes from those small camcorders people are often using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Most definitely handheld shots have a place on the wedding day. I probably shoot handheld 60-70% of the day. The important thing is to have 'steady' handheld shots. It's okay for the shot to have some subtle movement to it because that's what gives it that personal and intimate feel, but you don't want shake and wobble because that ends up distracting the viewer from the the content of the shot instead of adding to it.

Personally I think it's really important to film a mixture of shot styles and angles. That way during the edit you can varying the visuals in a meaningful way and provide more interest to the viewer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
I keep asking the same question, and so far came up with such a definition,
storytelling style/language suggests what means we use.
I love handheld, for subjective, personal POV story telling, noir, docu style, "nervous camera".

On the other hand tripod, slow slider, dolly, present things in more objective way, strong content needed to hold viewers attention.

Glidecam, stedicam with wide angle lenses with intense camera movement presents the
story,"graphically" or videographycally, quite often I see it as context becoming content.
It can be highly effective to show the beauty of surrounding, show B&G immersed in dynamic way in architecture and landscape. That's why it's very popular among our colleagues for cutting to music approach, form is essence. IMO

Ethan Cooper made a good point, use them all if and when you production allows you to do so,
most of the time I find that handheld is most natural way of getting unobtrusiv in all kind of wedding situarions.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan DesRoches View Post
Once the fun dances start (by fun, I mean after the formal dances of father/daughter, etc) - I usually go hand held for 95% of my shots. I try to get as many fun and interesting angles as I can. Since I shoot a ton of tape, I can then pick and choose what angles and dances work the best.

I'm also usually pretty good keeping a camera stable, and the new Sony's have a nice level feature right in the viewfinder - so it helps with keeping the camera steady.

Ryan
Asvaldur/Travis/Oleg/Ryan

I agree wholeheartedly with all four of you about mixing shot styles. Tripods, glidecams, glidetracks can do a remarkable job of imparting grace and the handheld imparts that feeling of immediacy and realism. Knowing when to use each style or combining them in interesting ways is key to holding the audiences interest in the piece.

We also like the wobbly kind of hand held as well, I don't know why, but I like to make the audience aware of the camera especially in certain purposeful artistic segues.

Thanks to all for your great replies. We truly appreciate them.

Best Regards

GMan

Last edited by Gino Mancusa; March 24th, 2009 at 03:26 AM.
Gino Mancusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:56 PM   #11
Trustee

I shoot the entire reception on my MultiRig Pro (with cam #2 operated by my wife on tripod as cutaway). I don't know if the MultiRig counts as hand held, but I get out there in the middle of the dancing, so I get "real" shots up close and personal. So far, the people dancing love the camera and I haven't had anyone back away or be visibly annoyed. If someone looks to be approaching that point, then I just keep on walking past them and focus on someone else dancing.

I also pop the cam onto the Glidecam and use it for high angle / low angle shots where I steady it by holding the handle and the base / sled. That allows me more steady control while not moving (since holding a glidecam still is harder than walking with it).
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques