DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding 2nd camera position (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/146678-wedding-2nd-camera-position.html)

Pete Cofrancesco March 26th, 2009 11:03 AM

Wedding 2nd camera position

Haven't filmed a wedding in 2 years, a friend last minute asked me to do his this weekend. I'm debating camera positions. One manned and mobile getting them come up the aisle and close ups of the ceremony, the other camera unmanned and at the back of the church.

In the past I put the unmanned in the balcony for the long shot, but this church is big and I'm not sure I'll have the reach. I'm going to give it a try at the rehearsal, but I had an idea I wanted to bounce off you guys. How about behind the altar back at the wall pointing towards the pews. I'm thinking that could give me a view of the family in the front row as well as the bride and groom if they're faced towards the priest. Of course I'm going to ask the priest if its acceptable but want your views on the 2nd camera as well as the 1st camera position.

Ryan DesRoches March 26th, 2009 11:53 AM

If it's a big church and the guests don't use the back half of the church, you might be able to set up in one of the back pews and just crank your tripod up high enough to shoot over peoples heads.

I've done this before with good results, so long as I cleared it with the priest first.

Ryan

Pete Cofrancesco March 26th, 2009 12:02 PM

thx great idea, why didn't i think of that?

Dave Blackhurst March 26th, 2009 02:20 PM

It's going to depend a LOT on your mobility w/ the "A" camera. Since you're going to the rehearsal, hopefully the choice will present itself naturally.

I personally shoot 4 cams, but have shot 2 and 3 in the past.

With 2 cams, one front and one in the back, but not a lot of moving around... the front shot can be good, but if someone blocks the shot (priest or groomsman or a plant...), you've lost your cutaway.

I'm presuming cam 2 is unmanned, in which case I'd go for the high tripod from the rear - it's a "safe" cutaway.

Pete Cofrancesco March 26th, 2009 08:03 PM

Just got back from the rehearsal. I'm glad I went because gave me an idea of the order of things and where I need to position myself. I decided the 2nd camera would be best to be put up in the balcony, but I'm not sure I have a remote for it, that will make it a pain running up to turn it on and getting back into position with out turning it on too early and running out of tape.

A couple of questions came to mind:
1. with 2 camera shoot. how long should the long shot be? Would it be more useful to do a medium-long shot of the entire altar and a little of the main aisle?

2. the mobile camera I'm thinking that it should still be on a tripod because I can't see myself being able to hold it steady for too long. But there are some spots where I'm going to need to shoot over the priest's shoulder to get the ring exchange shot. I guess i can lift the whole tripod up. How do you guys usually support the mobile closeup camera?

3. The church is dark, would it be obnoxious to use my dc camera mounted light for the ceremony?

Btw, I also noticed that the old wood floor shakes the camera when people walked by me.

Jerry Norman March 27th, 2009 06:33 AM

I would definitely NOT use your camera light unless you get specific permission from the B&G, and the minister.

I have had good success using a monopod for my mobile camera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofran (Post 1034251)
Just got back from the rehearsal. I'm glad I went because gave me an idea of the order of things and where I need to position myself. I decided the 2nd camera would be best to be put up in the balcony, but I'm not sure I have a remote for it, that will make it a pain running up to turn it on and getting back into position with out turning it on too early and running out of tape.

A couple of questions came to mind:
1. with 2 camera shoot. how long should the long shot be? Would it be more useful to do a medium-long shot of the entire altar and a little of the main aisle?

2. the mobile camera I'm thinking that it should still be on a tripod because I can't see myself being able to hold it steady for too long. But there are some spots where I'm going to need to shoot over the priest's shoulder to get the ring exchange shot. I guess i can lift the whole tripod up. How do you guys usually support the mobile closeup camera?

3. The church is dark, would it be obnoxious to use my dc camera mounted light for the ceremony?

Btw, I also noticed that the old wood floor shakes the camera when people walked by me.

Harold Schreiber March 27th, 2009 02:19 PM

Hi Pete,

I'll second Jerry's ideas.

As to the "running out of tape issue", you might consider either using the longer play tapes or using the slower record speed on the Cam (if it has it). I've done both with success.

Harold

Tom Alexander March 27th, 2009 04:31 PM

Also, when you attend the rehearsal, ask the officiant approximately how long the service will be (edit: I just noticed that you already attended the rehearsal). It will often run under 45 minutes (obviously, some run a lot longer than that), giving you at least 15 min. before the service to start your unmanned camera.

Pete Cofrancesco March 27th, 2009 10:09 PM

I found a remote for the 2nd camera, so I'm all set with that issue. Mass is going to be 45m-1hr so I think it will be ok.

I still want to use a camera light because I needed 6db gain for decent exposure inside the church with out a light.