wwyd? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 28th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #1
Major Player

wwyd?

Backgorund info: I shot a very conservative/religious wedding. The couple was young and fun and so was about 1/2 the guest list. The other 1/2 was older, conservative types.

The couple and all people doing speeches mentioned/referenced God often.

At the begining of the reception there was one young drunk girl who kept telling me to keep my eye on her because she's always the life of the party. Fine.

Fast forward to the "Guest Comments" and I'm cruisin' the room and stumble upon her. She is clearly an attention seeker. A few people at the table said their congrats and the mic was passed to her. She asked "What am I supposed to say?!" and someone told her to give them some marriage advice.

She then proceeded to tell the bride to make sexual references etc... you get the idea.

Now, in reality it's funny footage if you detatch yourself from the situation. People's reactions to her were even more funny.

My question: Would you include it in the "guest comments" section?? I already know what I plan on doing, but I am curious as to what most people would do/ have done in this situation?

Thanks!
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey Emuss View Post
Backgorund info: I shot a very conservative/religious wedding.
I think you answered your own question right there. Without seeing the clip itself nor knowing the couple, based on your description I would say that this couple will likely not think this funny now, and certainly won't in 20 years. Even a single misplaced comment can ruin the entire video if the couple finds this offensive. They also may not feel comfortable giving such a comment to parents, close friends, etc who sound like they are likely to be very conservative as well. Unless the couple told you specifically that this person was "The life of the party", I'd use some serious discretion. There always seems to be one of these at every wedding, but the couple who are paying may not always agree with that persons self assessment. You could also carefully run it by the couple. It kinda ruins the "surprise" factor, but better than ruining a video that they would otherwise love.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I always send the couple the link so they can watch it and decide for themselves.
I give them the option of having the questionable footage included on thier DVD only and the parents get the "G" rated version.
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Trustee

This is a decision you need to present to the B&G. Tell them their friend made some off-color comments and ask if they want it included. No big deal.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sessions View Post
I always send the couple the link so they can watch it and decide for themselves.
I give them the option of having the questionable footage included on thier DVD only and the parents get the "G" rated version.
This was exactly what I was planning to do. I figured I'd leave it up to them to decide.
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #6
Major Player

I would leave it out. One day their children will watch this video.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Often times I give the clients a 'Bride and Groom Special Edition' DVD for this very reason. Me personally?... I WOULD want this footage of my friends being fun and crazy. But it's nice to make it separate from the other DVDs that their family and friends get.

On their DVD is just tack on a section in the menu labeled 'Bride and Groom Extras'.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Harjo View Post
Often times I give the clients a 'Bride and Groom Special Edition' DVD for this very reason. Me personally?... I WOULD want this footage of my friends being fun and crazy. But it's nice to make it separate from the other DVDs that their family and friends get.

On their DVD is just tack on a section in the menu labeled 'Bride and Groom Extras'.
I've had to do this several times, and it's always been a very popular segment.
Kevin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey Emuss View Post
This was exactly what I was planning to do. I figured I'd leave it up to them to decide.
Definitely do this. The last thing you want to do is put something offensive on the DVD, but you also don't want to leave out something that they would find hilarious. Put the decision in their hands in this case.
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Major Player

Another option... make it an 'easter egg' so they can watch it only if they want to.
Old March 28th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Cavett View Post
Another option... make it an 'easter egg' so they can watch it only if they want to.
wha? Huh?

Ohhhhhh......I get it! You mean add it on to a video about 10 mins AFTER the last clip, thereby giving the impression that the video is over, but in fact there is one more clip. Am I right?

Last edited by Kelsey Emuss; March 28th, 2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Lightbulb moment
Old March 28th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Google 'DVD Easter Egg' and you will see that it is simply a hidden button on a menu (i/e No Highlight) that you get to with button routing. Several Hollywood movies have hidden extras available by accessing the extras through 'Easter Eggs'
Brett Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
I would leave it out. One day their children will watch this video.
Agree 100%. It might be funny now, but not years down the line. keep it out !!!!!
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I had a groomsman use a lot of profanty in an interview. I offered to cut it out or bleep the bad words. The B&G thought it would be funny to bleep the bad words so they choose to go that way.
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I like that option, would make it very funny AND since the B&G know this girl, they will be able to fill in the blanks.

I've done Easter eggs in the past too, and people usually love the fact that they have something hidden in their DVD, even if it's a few bloopers.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques