DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Canon 35mm DV-SLR sensor in a true video camera...2010 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/147296-canon-35mm-dv-slr-sensor-true-video-camera-2010-a.html)

Joel Peregrine March 31st, 2009 09:35 AM

Canon 35mm DV-SLR sensor in a true video camera...2010

I've mentioned that this had to happen eventually:

Electronista | Canon developing pro-level video camera?

Oleg Kalyan March 31st, 2009 10:27 AM

Great news, too bad it's not a full frame..still great camera, will get one when it's out..

Danny O'Neill March 31st, 2009 12:31 PM

Weird, I posted this yesterday and an hour later the post was gone :S

Travis Cossel March 31st, 2009 12:35 PM

Danny, that's funny, because I intended to post about it yesterday but just got too busy, lol.

Danny O'Neill March 31st, 2009 02:05 PM

I have to say, a video camera with the potential clarity of the MKII and a built in Letus... no doubt with a price attached but sounds like a dream.

Joel Peregrine March 31st, 2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill (Post 1037013)
Weird, I posted this yesterday and an hour later the post was gone :S

Didn't see that. I guess we should be prepared to see this vanish too... without explanation.

Dave Blackhurst March 31st, 2009 02:22 PM

DVi has a special "rumours and innuendo" section under the appropriately cryptic title "area 51", I'll bet your post was mysteriously transported from here to there, as will this one and a small herd of cattle and people in tinfoil hats...

FWIW, who knows what the guys and gals in white lab coats are playing with! I'll bet all of it would make us salivate like a stray dog turned loose at Hometown Buffet...

It's a matter of time with the still/video convergence/fusion before we start to see truly useful hybrid cameras - processing speeds need to increase, and production probably needs to step up a notch too to make larger chips with no errors and good yields.

Keep in mind that the EXMOR "R" sensor poked out of the lab only a year ago, and is in production in the Sony XR5xx series already - I'll be surprised if it doesn't show up in quite a few more Sony products and soon. 12-18 months from a wild new idea to production is clearly possible, but with the current economy I'd be surprised to see the pace of technology revolution keep up... I'm waiting patiently too!

Tom Alexander March 31st, 2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill (Post 1037239)
no doubt with a price attached but sounds like a dream.

Per the article - "entry-level pricing at less than $8,000"

Jeff Kellam March 31st, 2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 1037346)
Per the article - "entry-level pricing at less than $8,000"

Plus 2 or 3 $1,000+ L series lens.

Entry level?

And, by then the EX-1 will have matured to something even better and at a lower price point.

Randy Panado March 31st, 2009 07:31 PM

My thoughts exactly Jeff. After I thought over the rumor, it's not like it was financially feasible to go the rumored route. I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting an HMC150 due to the tapeless capabilities and the CCDs. I'm not a fan of CMOS. Hopefully Canon puts out something to compete with the HMC150 or EX1 in a CCD flavor. I'll hold my pennies till the end of the year though.

Travis Cossel March 31st, 2009 09:16 PM

I'm with you, Randy. I definitely am not a fan of CMOS. Not sure why the push seems to be going that way. Photog flashes are difficult enough to deal with at times without having them look even stranger onscreen.

Brad Cook March 31st, 2009 10:38 PM

That makes 3. The more side effects I see from CMOS, the more I don't want any part of it. I'm seeing CCD's getting better over time. HVX's, HPX's, and HMC's....
Is there a theoretical dead end for CCD's?

Randy Panado March 31st, 2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Cook (Post 1038405)
That makes 3. The more side effects I see from CMOS, the more I don't want any part of it. I'm seeing CCD's getting better over time. HVX's, HPX's, and HMC's....
Is there a theoretical dead end for CCD's?

CCDs may become antiquated, but it will still produce great images for the meantime. Seriously though, I hope Canon comes out with something new that is CCD. That's the only thing stopping me from making a switch to the HMC150 right now.

Nicholas de Kock April 1st, 2009 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 1038203)
I'm with you, Randy. I definitely am not a fan of CMOS. Not sure why the push seems to be going that way. Photog flashes are difficult enough to deal with at times without having them look even stranger onscreen.

I agree with you about the flashes however being a die hard CCD fan, I'm starting to think that I want a CMOS sensor, the vertical white lines that CCD's give when exposed to bright light is worse than the Rolling Shutter issue and makes beautiful flare impossible to film. Look at the beautiful flare seen in photos like those at J & D Photography The chronicles of J & D CCD could never do that! CMOS does.

Jeff Kellam April 1st, 2009 09:41 AM

Here is a CCD VS CMOS article:

CMOS Rolling Shutter

Maybe a global shutter CMOS will be developed soon. That would cure all the CMOS issues. Im sure there is some major technical limitation or it would already be done.