Wedding pointers please - any advice welcome at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 15th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Pointers please - any advice welcome

As a week old owner of the XM2/GL2 I wonder if there is a good way to approach a wedding shoot I am doing on Saturday for some friends.

I am not happy with my manual focussing yet with speed at the mo, I guess that comes with years of hands on practice.

Would you recommend that I use the Auto (NOT green box) initially then change to Full manual for the close ups? I don't want to miss anything if I can.

I love the full manual control, it is a fresh breath of air compared to my last cam. The exposure settings etc are great but think I might be lagging behind if I play around too much.

I am chuffed with getting some results with "rack focus" albeit outdoors only thanks to some pointers I received from a fellow XM2 user on the forum so that is a definite use in the right circumstances (time permitting too).

I look forward to any help anyone can offer and thanks in advance.
Old October 15th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Heres some general advice.......Jack your tripod up to get above peoples heads.....Grey card not white if theres enough light.....Always check for burnouts and under exposer in the whole area(move cam around area being taped to see for possible burnouts).....Move the cam around every so offten to not bore the people watching......Be very carefull of telephoto shake(cam shake increases as you zoom out) its hard to see on the little screen.........Beware of windows at afterparty fooling the cameras exposer. Stand behind them(back to window), or zoom in......... Always talk to the DJ before hand(or see if he suprises you by turning the lights off), and have him cue you atleast five mins before each scean.......That is the most general advice I can think of, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 11:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks John,

I like the ht of the tripod and the grey card comments , would not have thought of those. I need to get a decent tripod as I can see the shakes at normal ht when pressing buttons etc but will edit out later as I will let the Cam roll.

Thanks again,
Old October 16th, 2003, 08:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

What does the grey card do for white balancing that is different than a white card or some of the warm(blue)/cool(pink) cards?
Kelvin Kelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #5
Major Player

More advice

Make sure you have enough battery power to last through the entire ceremony plus the reception!!! You will need enough battery power for the camera and for the light. Also, use a light with the camera, because you really don't know when you will need it and/or specific conditions due to weather or location. And, oh yes, watch out for windows, especially if you are using the light! Good luck.

Clay
Old October 16th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Clay,

I have pre-empted the batteries problem (2 x 945's + standard), also a spare battery for the light if needed, all charged and ready. I am using a minidisk recorder c/w microphone for the vows and also DM-50 so should get a choice for post editing audio.

The window flashing is a good point and one I may not have sussed till the review, too late then but will take your comments onboard.

Many thanks again.
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #7
Major Player

A perfect neutral grey would be more accurate than white. It is a neutral color. Personally Ive gotten better color balance from using grey in well lit areas, however it doesnt seem to work in lower light. Correct me if im wrong, but thats the photographer side in me coming out.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio
John DeLuca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques