DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Requests that make you say "hmmm..." (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/178058-requests-make-you-say-hmmm.html)

Jaime Espiritu April 9th, 2009 11:18 AM

Requests that make you say "hmmm..."

Here's a recent request from a potential client. This person wanted the following:

I need a 7 hour quote with Blu-Ray format. I choose the music. Edit "light" please.

Filming starts at my house where I will prepare. 4 hours at my house.

Go to the reception site 15 miles from the ceremony site (Videographer pays parking and gas). Film the bridal party and dance for 3 more hours.

By the way, you can keep the footage for a demo reel.

But... we're on a very tight, tight budget. Video is a something we can't afford right now but can you help???

Travis Cossel April 9th, 2009 11:30 AM

There are so many red flags in that message it's not even funny. My guess is you should have a good laugh and walk away from this one.

Gino Mancusa April 9th, 2009 12:42 PM

My guess is this is a clueless client that really doesn't know what she wants and does not understand what Wedding Films are all about . . . but she thinks she does and wants it cheap to boot. I see nothing but clashes here . . . . I agree, be polite, but walk away.

GMan

Terry Esslinger April 9th, 2009 12:46 PM

I don't see any mention of the ceremony, is it at her house or does she not want you to video the ceremony? 10 foot pole territory.

Noel Lising April 9th, 2009 01:22 PM

Red Flag for me is when she mentioned EDIT "LIGHT". The way she wrote the inquiry, she might Micro manage your editing, walk away........

Don Bloom April 9th, 2009 01:34 PM

Run Jamie Run!

Jaime Espiritu April 9th, 2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger (Post 1071633)
I don't see any mention of the ceremony, is it at her house or does she not want you to video the ceremony? 10 foot pole territory.

I forgot to mention that the ceremony will be after she gets ready at the house. Travel to the ceremony. Come back to the house for more filming celebrants' party & celebration. Then take 3 hours off. Be back at the reception area and continue on filming.

I knew this would be a tough assignment but everyone's description of this situation is hilarious!

I would have taken on this project if this was my first wedding to gain experience but that was years ago...

Travis Cossel April 9th, 2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaime Espiritu (Post 1071288)
But... we're on a very tight, tight budget. Video is a something we can't afford right now but can you help???

Honestly it's this sentence that really gets me. She's basically saying she wants a video but isn't really willing to pay for it. To me that's just the beginning of a client who is going to keep asking you for more and more without wanting to pay for any of it. It could end up being a decent gig, but I'm doubting it.

Ethan Cooper April 9th, 2009 02:48 PM

I've had a few clients start out with 1000 demands like this, but by the time the day got rolling we just did what we usually do and they were so caught up in everything it wasn't a problem.

Now the whole, I don't have money to pay for a video thing.. yeah, run baby run.

Andy Tejral April 9th, 2009 03:04 PM

Man, I HATE it when people edit heavy...

Jason Bowers April 9th, 2009 03:17 PM

Send her the quote at your price and let that be that. If she can't afford it let her move on, if she can she gets what she wants. Just clarify what Light edit means. Send the quote can't hurt.

Kelsey Emuss April 9th, 2009 04:43 PM

My "make you go hmmmm" wedding request...

I loved reading the previous one posted and decided to share mine. I was available but didn't tell them.
This is the email EXACTLY no "hellos" "how are you?":

Below is a summary of what we are looking for:

Date
Saturday October 17th, 2009

Locations
Groom's house (Pickering)
Bride's house (Whitby)
Church ceremony (North York)
Park / Photos (TBD)
Reception (Woodbridge)
12 hours coverage

Editing
Picture slideshow
Pictoral credits of bridal party
Original Unedited footage
Custom Motion Menu
DVD Labelling
DVD Casing
3 copies (ability to burn more after)

Style
Personable, and engaging with the family members to ensure that video is interactive and captures the essence of each individual and the overall wedding vibe/emotion.

We are on a tight budget but are interested in speaking with you about your services.

That was it no names, just wham, bam no thank you Maam!

Kelsey Emuss April 9th, 2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaime Espiritu (Post 1071288)
Here's a recent request from a potential client. This person wanted the following:

I need a 7 hour quote with Blu-Ray format. I choose the music. Edit "light" please.

Filming starts at my house where I will prepare. 4 hours at my house.

Go to the reception site 15 miles from the ceremony site (Videographer pays parking and gas). Film the bridal party and dance for 3 more hours.

By the way, you can keep the footage for a demo reel.

This reminds me of an email I once got. I'll find it and post it.

Travis Cossel April 9th, 2009 05:23 PM

I love people who take the time to come up with a list of EXACTLY what they want (ie - custom specifications) and yet have the nerve to tell you they have no money to work with. Audacity ...

Simon Denny April 9th, 2009 05:27 PM

Looks to me like another video production is trying to get a quote from you and others to give to their client.
Could be wrong