light kits at receptions.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 14th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #16
Major Player

If the DJ is cooperative (they often control the lights) and doesn't put the reception into pitch black darkness, I go with natural lighting. Lots of nice shadows and cascading light on the guests, especially on the closeups.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #17
Regular Crew

For the reception, I only light the head table and the podium. 2 x 750w Totas and 1 x 500w Omni. I put the Totas in the front facing the head table - nice and high, one tota is facing just the head table the other one is facing the podium and the head table. The omni light is behind the podium up against the wall - giving me hairlight on the speaker (some depth). I have the lights all wirelessly controlled so when I don't need them I just press a button. Once they are on the dance floor I just turn one tota around (just loosen one knob instead of turning the whole light around) and light the dance floor.
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanna Jayaseelan View Post
For the reception, I only light the head table and the podium. 2 x 750w Totas and 1 x 500w Omni.
Wow- (2) 750 Totas , that sounds like a lot. I guess it depends on the room too. Mind sharing what you're using for the wireless remote? I'd like to be able to turn on/off as well as dim remotely. I saw a Hunter fan remote at Lowes but not sure how compatible it would be with my Lowell lights.

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
Wow- (2) 750 Totas , that sounds like a lot. I guess it depends on the room too. Mind sharing what you're using for the wireless remote? I'd like to be able to turn on/off as well as dim remotely. I saw a Hunter fan remote at Lowes but not sure how compatible it would be with my Lowell lights.

Art
Art I was thinking the same thing along the lines of using remotes... I think the fan remotes could work, but only with low wattage bulbs.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #20
Wrangler

IMHO anything over 100 watts per light is overkill for receptions and run the enhanced risk of appearing obtrusive. We use three 75 watt lights on dimmers and it's provided ample lighting for even the darkest caves also known as reception venues. :)

Of course I can't shoot with no gain with this lighting- often times I'm at 1/24th and +12db however it's better to max your camera out first and add enough additional light to get the image to pop rather than trying to light the camera basing it on an image a 1/48-1/60th with low gain.

Bear in mind there's always a critical balance between image quality and perceived obtrusiveness. Both of them are paramount. If either of the two edged out the other in importance it would be unobtrusiveness.
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post

Art

It does sound like alot but most of the venues that I get to shoot in are large. Im using a wireless light control by NOVA from Canadian Tire for like $30cdn but no dimming ability.
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
IMHO anything over 100 watts per light is overkill for receptions and run the enhanced risk of appearing obtrusive. We use three 75 watt lights on dimmers and it's provided ample lighting for even the darkest caves also known as reception venues. :)

Of course I can't shoot with no gain with this lighting- often times I'm at 1/24th and +12db however it's better to max your camera out first and add enough additional light to get the image to pop rather than trying to light the camera basing it on an image a 1/48-1/60th with low gain.

Bear in mind there's always a critical balance between image quality and perceived obtrusiveness. Both of them are paramount. If either of the two edged out the other in importance it would be unobtrusiveness.
I haven't had one client complain, or even a guest about the lights I have used (knock on wood)- that is probably because I light the headtable and not the entire hall or guests. I find that shooting on 1/24th will cause motion blurs for any movements and +12 is a definite no go for ME. I would rather shoot 1/48th or 1/60th with at most +3db rather than 1/24th and 12+db.

But as long as you're getting the image quality that you need then your settings are fine.
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanna Jayaseelan View Post
I haven't had one client complain, or even a guest about the lights I have used (knock on wood)- that is probably because I light the headtable and not the entire hall or guests. I find that shooting on 1/24th will cause motion blurs for any movements and +12 is a definite no go for ME. I would rather shoot 1/48th or 1/60th with at most +3db rather than 1/24th and 12+db.

But as long as you're getting the image quality that you need then your settings are fine.
Motion isn't as clean with 1/24th but it's far from blurry. If you've seen any of my reception footage it's ALL +12db @ 1/24th. What camera are you using?
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #24
Major Player

Glen: are you shooting with the XHA1?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Motion isn't as clean with 1/24th but it's far from blurry. If you've seen any of my reception footage it's ALL +12db @ 1/24th. What camera are you using?
I'm using the A1, what about you?
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #26
Wrangler

XH-A1...yes.
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #27
Major Player

Hey Glen,

Quote:
XH-A1...yes.
I'm shooting with 2 x 75's and a 20 on a smaller stand for cake cutting of other remote locations. I'm at 24 fps and 1/24th for nearly the entire reception too. I'm able to shoot the dance floor with 6db and the PFVISION preset. I was at 12db with my previous preset. I'd love to try your preset though...
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #28
Major Player

i am about ready to ugrade my kit, not sure whether to add lowel omnis or some
fresnels. Fresnels look high end, so I may just go with those. this will be my
first year using additional lighting for receptions.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
i am about ready to ugrade my kit, not sure whether to add lowel omnis or some
fresnels. Fresnels look high end, so I may just go with those. this will be my
first year using additional lighting for receptions.
well, I've been using a lighting setup similar to Glenn's, two, 75 watt lights on light stands with remote controls, that are placed by the DJ or stage for bands.

Works wonders for me shooting with FX1's running about 9-12db gain.
We still use on camera dimable lights for fill, when needed. And the combo of off camera with some fill lighting, really creates a nice image with good depth of field that's not flat like normal on camera lighting is.
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #30
Major Player

Are you guys using halogen, or flourescent lighting??
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques