DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Guest out of control (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/213318-guest-out-control.html)

Walt Paluch April 18th, 2009 09:11 PM

Guest out of control

Here is what happened to me today.

YouTube - Guest Interference at a wedding.

This lady had no respect for the bride, me or anything we were doing . She was in our way all day and would not accept no for and answer. Thank God we have a clause in our contracts that covers these intrusive rude people. She ruined the brides video with her totally uses less pictures. I did come up to after the ceremony and made sure she knew what she did.

YouTube - Guest Interference at a wedding.

check it out on You-Tube

Our clause states that if your guest get in our way that we are not responsible for the video content. First time this has happened to me in 15 years. It caught me off guard. Will ever happen again.

Dennis Murphy April 18th, 2009 09:43 PM

Some idiots just don't have a clue do they?
I'm seriously thinking of buying some bright orange traffic cones to put around my camera because it seems that some people really are just too retarded to understand the simple dynamics of line of sight etc.

Bill Koehler April 18th, 2009 09:46 PM

With regard to ruining the brides video...I doubt she cared. As you say, she was rude, intrusive, and would not take no for an answer. Pretty much covers it. In fact, she may have considered your presence validation that *this* was the place to shoot from.

In the 1980's I lived in Austin, TX and enjoyed going to airshows. The Confederate Airforce was doing a show in Hondo, just west of San Antonio, so I went.

I quickly discovered that if I walked up to a plane and lifted my camera to eye level to frame the shot and take a picture, within ~10 to 15 seconds someone would be directly in front of me. It was as if my presence validated that that must be a good viewing point. And this would be were prior to walking up to the aircraft myself, the closest person was probably 50+ feet away. There were a couple of times when I could have easily impaled the person in front of me on the aircrafts nose mounted pitot tube, I was that close to the aircraft - and them. Just lift up a leg and push...no I didn't. I just enjoyed thinking about it.

Dave Blackhurst April 18th, 2009 10:02 PM

Perhaps you were restricted as to where you could shoot from?

I know I always co-ordinate that shot with the photog (each take one side of the aisle to come in from), as soon as those opening organ notes hit and everyone stands, I'm right down in front shooting up the aisle unobstructed, usually from a low angle (everyone is looking the other way anyway) - shoot straight up the aisle and pull back as the bride/FoB get close...

I had one wedding that there was a family member thought they were part of the ceremony or something, wandering all over the place and ruining lots of shots... that's when I decided to take out a patent on the monopod/blowgun <wink>.

In the end though, I always have one high mounted safety cam and figure if I have to move to get the shot I've got a cutaway.

FWIW, I'd have been on the other side of the aisle if they were being restrictive, so I could lean out and get the shot... then discreetly switched sides once the bride passed by.

Ultimately you've got to plan on obstructions either human or flora in this biz and be prepared to work around and get the shot anyway, if at all possible. You don't want to be a papparazzi, but you're there to get the shot. I've had occaision to almost literally toss the camera up in the air so it got the needed angle... it was on a support, but got that sucker up quick when I saw the groom "dip the bride" for the first kiss... got the shot...

Walt Paluch April 18th, 2009 10:08 PM

Guest again

It was very restrict and just no room to do much of anything. I do take your comments well. It was just one of those days. By the way we do the photo and video where we are, there just not enough video gigs to be full time, photo as made it a full time biz.

John Knight April 19th, 2009 02:31 AM

Auto Iris?????

Warren Kawamoto April 19th, 2009 02:43 AM

Do you have a cutaway of the groom looking at the bride? Or audience shots? Next time take a long stick and tap people's legs so they scoot over. If they don't, hit em hard in the kneecap.

One of my pet peeves is during the reception when the emcee announces that the cake cutting is next, and that everyone with cameras are invited to come up to the cake and get some pictures.....

Matt Barwick April 19th, 2009 03:17 AM

I'm sure most of us have encountered guests like this at weddings on one occasion or another...

But regardless of the situation I'd be quite careful putting stuff like this online - particularly the youtube clip. All it takes is a guest from the wedding to google your name, come across this thread and it gets passed around other family & guests like wildfire.

Could potentially be very damaging to your professional reputation...just a thought.

Noa Put April 19th, 2009 03:24 AM

That sometimes happens to me when I'm outside the church at the end of the ceremony, especially at Italian weddings, everybody seems to have a camera then and then I sometimes feel like paparazzi trying to film a celebrity :)
When the bride walks in the church I always do this handheld now, had similar problems as you in the past in small churches and by going handheld I'm preventing that. You can't explain some people that they are blocking the view of a paid videographer and that they can ruin a shot, don't think some understand or care. You just need to assure you got it covered and in this case only a second cam will save you or by going handheld with one camera.

Walt Paluch April 19th, 2009 05:07 AM

Guest again

Hey Matt

When a guest does what she did to us all day, she deserves to be on You Tube. 15 years of taping and never never had a guest like this that would not back down, even after being told. I am just lucky that this bride and groom are cool couple.

What bothers me is that she Just Did Not Care. for the brides feeling. She can google my name until the end of time. She needs to know when to keep her place as a Guest. If she wants to be a video or photo guy she should start her own business.

Walt Paluch April 19th, 2009 05:15 AM

Guest done

I took the video down, just want some input. New plan has been made to avoid this kind of dumb ass in the future. Believe me it wont happen again.

Lukas Siewior April 19th, 2009 06:04 AM

I'm not sure Walt what exactly has happened, since I came here after you took the vid down. I had similar problem last night with bride's father - I think he just got new digital SLR camera and was ALL OVER the ceremony and reception. Actually I think he took more pics then the official photog. I'm not stressing - the bride with have plenty of her daddy on the video :-)

Alan Craig April 19th, 2009 06:22 AM

What's the old saying Never work with kids or pet's I suppose adults should be added. I have had similar problems with adult's myself and sometimes the photographer hired to take the photgraphs but here is an easy way to sort that out I just stand right in front of him or her and film thier face explaining to them that i have filmed the back of thier head now I just want to film the front they get the message.

Alan

Warren Kawamoto April 19th, 2009 12:35 PM

Walt,
I once had a wedding that was similar, only it was a professional photographer that kept getting into my shots all day and night! Rather than finding ways to fight with him, I kept my cool and began to think of ways to cover myself.

During the ceremony, I was at the back of the chapel shooting down the aisle for the ring exchange. The photographer stepped right into my shot, leaving me with nothing to shoot. I signaled his assistant to tell him to move over a bit. The photographer looked at me but didn't budge. Then during the reception, he kept jumping right in front of me. He knew he was in my shot because the shadow of himself from my camera light fell on the couple.

Sure I was fuming mad, but I thought "I'm a professional videographer." I can't change what is happening to me, but I can't sit and miss the wedding either. I began to think of things I needed to shoot in order to cover myself. So after the ceremony was done, I took the couple back up to the alter and had them re-do the ring exchange. I shot closeups of hands, rings, them looking at each other, etc. During the reception, I made sure I shot lots of extra cutaways.

When it came time to edit, I had tons of shots to cover the photographer. It also made the wedding look like it was a multi camera shoot. The couple absolutely loved it! It really pays to take a deep breath and try to think one step ahead. Once you're caught trying to play catch-up with the situation, you're not a professional videographer anymore.

So..
#1. Take a deep breath. Keep your cool. You won't be able to think straight if you're in a rage. It may seem like the end of the world at the moment, but it really isn't that bad.
#2. Know what shots were blocked or missed, and think of as many cutaways you can use to cover yourself. If you need to re-do something, go ahead and do it. This is the only chance you'll ever have to re-create the moment.
#3. When it comes time to editing, you'll have everything you need to create a beautiful wedding video.

A truly professional videographer can make great videos no matter what kind of obstacles are thrown at them!

Nicholas de Kock April 19th, 2009 01:32 PM

Would have love to see the video for a laugh.
"There is nothing stranger than people."