Event Business GL2 or VX2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Event Business GL2 or VX2100

I don't want this to be a great debate, I've scanned over some of the messages in each of these cameras forums and can honestly say that I'm still totally confused while going in on the purchase of a new setup.

Here is where I'm coming from so that you can consider this in giving me guideance.

I'm taking a leap of faith into the wedding and event business, I've got bonus money coming in that should cover the cost of either of these 2 purchases. I'm also considering some sideline stringer work for the local news as well as deposition video for some of my legal friends.

With this in mind, I've researched the GL2 and VX2100 and have come down to these to units. I will be adding external mic mixers, Sennheizer wireless and light duty camera lights to these units. I expect to shoot in a variety of lighting situations and the only time I plan on shooting any "guerilla" type video, I'll actually opt for my trusty Sony 330 (4 years old and kicking) for that "raw" look.

I've come down to these debate topics:

1. CCD - 1/3" vs 1/4" - will size matter?

2. Optics - Canon vs. Sony

3. Manual control - I want to set the shutter at 1/60 and let the camera do the rest. I work the F-Stop (Yes I come from a photography background, this is the way I like to work). I also want to know what the STOP is on the LCD or viewfinder so that I can push or stop down if needed.

4. The MILLION DOLLAR LOOK, I want to make sure that I get that pro look when I edit and know that my clients will see it.

5. Lastly, technology, the Canon is older yet tried and true, the rumors about new product are what's really killing me. I buy now, they come up with a GL2 killer in 2 months and I kill myself OR purchase the Sony which is very new with the latest and greatest CCD and technology and stay sane until a nice cheap 3CCD HD unit comes out.

Guys/Girls- Please be gentle in your responses, again I need practical advice here.

Thanks
Miguel Lombana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 01:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Practical advice: Get the VX2100.

Reason why: Low light capabilities. Good run and gun capabilities.

Explanation: The ccd size makes a big difference. I own a GL2 and shoot each week on PD-150's and know first hand the differences. The GL2 is an incredible camera for controled environments: interviews, features, etc. But your looking to do weddings and/or events and the vx2100 will blow away the gl2 as soon as the lights go down. At open iris and the same shutter speed there's just no comparing the two.

For the run and gun capabilities the vx is a more solid build. You'll appreciate that as you lug your camera from one wedding site to another. And the vx gets a better auto controlled picture. You can tweak the GL2 more and get it to look better than a Sony, but when you have to go from a backstage shot of the groom to the bride getting pictures you don't have time to fiddle with settings. You need to just roll tape and go and the vx will get it done in that manner.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:14 PM   #3
Major Player

I've got a GL2 and I'm drooling over the VX2100.

I'd love to have a reason to trade up for it, but I don't right now. :(

It's a sweet camera.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I actually just recently had this conversation with my friend except he was considering the VX2000 and the GL1. He decided to go with the GL1 for one reason and one reason only. He could get it cheaper. The only rumors i've heard about are the new XL2, but i haven't read anything about it yet, so it probably wont be coming out for a while yet. If it does come out soon, that's poor marketing on their part and i don't think they are going to be making any changes on the GLs. Anyway, If i were you, i'd go with the VX2100 because, as Ben already stated, it does better with low light... significantly better as i've experienced. The VX2100 just looks better than the GL2 also. ;) As for the "Pro look" that only comes with the way the footage is shot. There are a few things like shutter speed and F stops and all that, but in the end what makes any video unique, be it a short film or a wedding tape, is the mis en scene (cinematography, lighting, etc). Good luck to you!

-Gino Terribilini
Gino Terribilini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 03:05 PM   #5
Major Player

I have tried both, I just have to say I like the GL2 better cause the feel and look to me is better. I also like the awesome 20x zoom and frame mode. I mean, sure the VX2100 beats the GL2 in low-light but I really never film anything in ultra dark.

But either one is good, I guess one day I'll get a VX2100 or (better) so I'll have both camcorders... then I'll have both the benefits! :)
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks all, this is exactly what I wanted to know and it's really helped. Have one last quick question, Stedi-Cam devices, anyone have a good suggestion. I've looked at GlideCam, Flowpod, StediCam Jr, you name it and after all that, still can't figure it out, especially since I don't have a local pro shop that I can goto and try these out. So once again anyone that's used these and has a preference, please advise.
Miguel Lombana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Stedicam JR...

I am very curious about this device myself. The price is close to $100 over the similar (in function) Glidecam 2000 pro, If ordered w/o a monitor. I like the JR's weight placement over the hand, rather than the side-shifted center on the GC2K, but that is based on assumptions since I have never touched either. I am also curious if the JR is easily fitted with a monitor down the road if one wanted to upgrade. The Stedicam site states that the "lite" model does not have the monitor, or internal wiring (and power supply I guess), and I wonder if that could be added later without damaging the unit. I understand it is mainly plastic (yikes! $450+ for plastic, I know it is lighter material, but....) and just can't tell based on pics. I have searched the forums with these two products as key words, and read it all I believe, and still do not know if it is something I want eating up my start-up budget. It seems the more seasoned pros don't like them, but a lot of amatuer, or pro-am's, do. The higher quality (priced) stuff is simply out of my league though. If I did get a stablizer device, it would be at the cost of something else (Upgrade to VegasDVD, or nicer wireless audio, etc) At the same time, I plan on shooting outdoor sports, and some live plays (without an audience) so I am excited about the percieved possibilities I have of these products. I am leaning to the JR at the moment, if I get one at all. Sorry if I rambled a bit off topic from the original post, but it seemed to be heading here.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques