Montage music at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 25th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Montage music

Okay, I asked a bride about the music for her highlight video and she said that she didn't want anything mushy so she gave me a list of songs she wants me to use. Not the ideal songs.
1. Dave Matthews Band-- Crush
2. Allman Brothers--Blue Sky
3. Donavon Frankenreiter-- Life, Love & Laughter

would you just do your best and use these songs or suggest something else?
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #2
Major Player

The use of copyrighted music without permission from the copyright holder is illegal.

We all know it goes on every day and even by those who are generally perceived as being "honorable" and "doing the right thing".

My suggestion would be to make your client happy, but not to publicly announce your intentions or willingness to violate copyright law in order to do it.

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Jeff,
Actually I think he was not asking about using copyrighted music (which I think most of us know is illegal) but was asking about those particular songs. Possible as not being suitable for his purpose. It was probably a good isea to remind him about the legality however, just in case.
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Jeff thanks for the coat tail tugging. they want me to use at least one of the those songs but not really wanting to. Like you said copyright infringement not cool.
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Dave Matthews Band - 'Crash into me' is a beautiful weddingy type song in my opinion.
Old April 27th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Emery View Post
We all know it goes on every day and even by those who are generally perceived as being "honorable" and "doing the right thing".
We thank you Zen Master. <bows>
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
We thank you Zen Master. <bows>

???

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

If you have access to all of them, you can just listen to them and close your eyes. You already know what footage you have. Let your mind with your eyes closed tell you which one has the right feel... or the one that you would like to work with.

So, yes, you might just have to do the best with what you have. But ask yourself this question.... what can you do so that you don't have to be in this situation again. For myself, I don't bring up the topic of music to the client. I pick something modern that fits.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #9
Major Player

I ask for their favorite genres.
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Major Player

asking for a favorite genre is a good idea. I'll make sure to keep myself from this situation.
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #11
Trustee

I'm not sure if you charge clients for the highlights, I don't,
Next day after wedding I just post B&G personal webpage on my site with the "preview" clip,
and because it's "free" I don't need to ask what music they like,
so far every one of my clients were more than happy.
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:34 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
Next day after wedding I just post B&G personal webpage on my site with the "preview" clip,
Buba

I'm no expert on copyright law in Canada - in the UK we have an eminently sensible, inexpensive and easy way to clear use of all copyright material for wedding videos - but I think I'd check whether the element of charging is relevant.

In most jurisdictions it is the act of copying that's covered not whether you charged for doing it. As I say I know nothing about Canadian law but my gut feeling is to recommend you double check.

If I'm wrong, please tell everyone here - I'm sure many people would be pleased to hear it!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:04 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
Philip is absolutely right. If you haven't licensed the music usage from its copyright owners, it's illegal (and IMO unethical) to use it. Period, full stop, no exceptions. Doesn't matter at all whether you charge or not, whether the B&G own the CD or not, whether it's under [insert urban legend time here] seconds in length, nothing. No license, illegal to use.

Australia, the UK, and a few other parts of the world have relatively simple and economical ways to properly license the music for low impact uses such as weddings. Canada, the USA, and most of the rest of the world do not. We really should, but until the law is changed one ought to just say no to client requests for you perform illegal acts.
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Philip is absolutely right. If you haven't licensed the music usage from its copyright owners, it's illegal (and IMO unethical) to use it. Period, full stop, no exceptions. Doesn't matter at all whether you charge or not, whether the B&G own the CD or not, whether it's under [insert urban legend time here] seconds in length, nothing. No license, illegal to use.

Australia, the UK, and a few other parts of the world have relatively simple and economical ways to properly license the music for low impact uses such as weddings. Canada, the USA, and most of the rest of the world do not. We really should, but until the law is changed one ought to just say no to client requests for you perform illegal acts.
I also fully agree.

It's illegal, period.

Will you get caught, no, but it's still illegal and unprofessional.

Record your music (in high quality) at the venue as part of the event, It' may still be illegal that way, I don't know, but it may be a fair use.
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #15
Regular Crew

In the U.S. it is perfectly legal to use certain types of music for your wedding videos. I have posted the pull quote (below) on this site before, but people here are still ignorant.

This is my justification for using whatever music I want as long as it meets the criteria below:

This is a pull quote from MediaLaw in response to a question posed by a videographer

Music usage for wedding videos
By: MediaLaw Lawyer
Date: 5/22/2007 10:56:35 PM Member Since: 6/1/2006
State: NY
You obviously haven't found the "Romantic Legislative Protocol and Marriage Enhancement and Promotion" provision of the Copyright Act. In an effort to promote marriage, Congress enacted a little known exception to the Copyright Act, called the Fair Use. So long as the music is romantic in nature and not acid rock, heavy metal, surf music, anti-war, etc. videographers are okay in synchronizing sappy love songs and "our song" recordings. Nora Jones, Avril Lavigne and other performers who have changed their name are automatically covered. I'd add Bobby Vinton but I'd be showing my age.
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques