DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Why Wedding Videography is important? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/234332-why-wedding-videography-important.html)

Yunisbel Marrero April 30th, 2009 06:17 AM

Why Wedding Videography is important?

Hello again,

OK, here is the deal, I got different shot from different wedding trying to make something where I can show that our job is important too in the wedding. Please let me know what do you thinks or if I need to fix something.

Why Wedding Videography is Important? on Vimeo

C&C are always welcome
thanks

Aaron J. Yates April 30th, 2009 06:37 AM

Looks good. I have two comments. First, the opening title of the video is not written with proper grammar. It says, "Why wedding videography is important on your special day?" To make it proper, move the "is" to just after the "Why". Sorry to be pedantic, but I would want someone to point that out to me if I were using my second language.

Second, some of the reasons wedding videography is so much different from photography are the dimensions of motion and audio. You've captured the motion dimension very well. However, audio is a big part of videography that's not dealt with in this film. Maybe think about overlaying parts of different couples' vows or something to make it a little more compelling?

Just suggestions. By no means am I an expert on this type of video. Good luck and I hope it nets you some clients!

Paul R Johnson April 30th, 2009 07:11 AM

Why wedding videography is important on your special day - is a statement. The wedding day video is important, what follows explains why.

Why is wedding videography important on your special day? - is a question, expecting a reply.

In the original, the word why is being used in the sense of explanation. Changing the location of 'is' is not a grammatical issue - it's changing the entire meaning of the sentence.

Chris Hurd April 30th, 2009 07:15 AM

Remove the question mark. Otherwise it reads like you're doubting that wedding videography is important. You're not asking a question... you're making a statement. Take away the question mark in order to clarify that. Hope this helps,

Niall Megahey April 30th, 2009 09:44 AM

Hi Yunisbel. I watched it once straight through and these are my first thoughts. you got some good shots in there. Overall i see what your trying to do but there are some things that are not working for me on this. I like the music at the start and the slow motion suits the style you’re going for.

I wasn’t mad on the opening shot of the church.. it was a bit to shaky for your very first shot. Another shot that jumped out was the bride with the birth mark at 57 sec. I think you should change that if you have another. Its just my eye got drawn to it, rather then the shot.

I would also personally change the text to white and just fade it in rather then the transition that you are using and probably use some more fades to Black rather then the white flashes between shots..

just my thoughts.. cheers Yunisbel

Jeff Emery April 30th, 2009 10:34 AM

My thoughts:

At 1:01 - What is a "firts dance"? Change to first dance. And the bulk head gets more screen space than the couple.

1:36 - Ring around the headless bride?

Jeff

Yunisbel Marrero April 30th, 2009 10:57 AM

Thanks everybody for your respond, I'm working on those details that you guys mentions, as soon is done I will post again for comments.

thanks again.

Justin Oliver April 30th, 2009 11:43 AM

Nice concept, but too many flashy effects in there for me, I think it makes the video look cheap. Maybe try to use the flashes to emphasize certain shots and dip to black on the rest, just a suggestion. Take it or leave it...

Yunisbel Marrero April 30th, 2009 11:59 AM

OK, here is my second try. This one is SD version, that way the upload is quicker. and also is password protected.

This is a password protected video on Vimeo
Password: weddingpromo

This is my first time doing something like this, so any comment will help me either good or bad.

Terry Taravella April 30th, 2009 05:24 PM

First voice I hear I cannot understand what he is saying. Is this the priest talking?
Perhaps replace it with vows that are understandable.
I think you should delete every dissolve.

Remove the shot of the back of the groom's head while he is kissing the bride. (:37)
(1:05) heads are cut off.
(1:22) too much going on to tell what's going on.

Perhaps as you shoot and edit more weddings, you can add to the montage and give more depth to the concept.

Susanto Widjaja April 30th, 2009 06:07 PM

I think you should change the font.. definitely..

the second music is too clubby for my taste.

i like the shot when the "emotion" word came out.

I would only fade in the words in instead of animating them left to right because its such an emotional music.

maybe slow mo some shots that are shaky.

my two cents

Santo

Jason Robinson April 30th, 2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja (Post 1135705)
I would only fade in the words in instead of animating them left to right because its such an emotional music.

I am of similar opinion for the text. Everything needs to follow the same theme. the music is sweeping and cinematic, but the text is just a bit too cheese for my taste (I hope you don't take offense). It is hard to put text on top of video and keep everything serious & cinematic.

The text needs to be either much more subtle in color, appearance, and presentation / transition, or else the text needs to match the epic feel to introduce the scene it
precedes.

But that is how I would do it. I have only used text in the middle of a production once, and that sample is visible on my web page.

For the dancing, the music dictates a faster pace edit. the visuals are still in the "sweeping and emotional" mood. I would do twice as many cuts and no slow motion because the music is faster and up beat.

Some of the Slo-mo effects are showing the tell-tale signs of filming with a progressive camera and having too much motion in the scene while applying too much of a slow down (I'm thinking of 1:40). I would not slow those down as much, and that should help preserve the motion with out getting stuttery motion.

The text at the end looks fine, but is a bit small. A few sizes bigger would help it be easier to read.

Philip Howells May 1st, 2009 02:21 AM

With great respect to you, I think you should ignore much of the comment you've received because few people, however well intentioned, have asked you what your programme is intended to achieve. Only when we know that can we make a sensible appraisal. Sure there are technical errors which people have correctly pointed out - like a mixture of fonts and illegible text - but the overall impression your programme gives might well attract a certain type of client.

Because clients are different so too will your programmes to attract them have to be. We have several sampler programmes because no single one will appeal to every potential client. Some have criticised you for being cheesy - but some clients like cheesy; others say your music is too clubby - but what about the client who likes clubby?

Wedding fairs are important promotional events for us. At them we will face the entire universe of potential clients. We won't appeal to all of them but we need to attract most. This is how we do it - though again you should make your own mind up if any of our experience is worth using for your market.

Visitors are generally very close to the stand so we use two identical 22inch HD monitors on our stands, mounted one above the other on a single chrome column each showing different programmes. Sometimes we add another column two with yet other programmes. Each programme is designed to attract a different type of client. You get only a few seconds to make an impression on the average visitor. Our minimum objective is to get our pack containing brochures and demo DVD into every visitor's hands. If we get to chat that's a bonus.

We record, edit and archive everything in HD so our stand programmes are all shown HD. Of course as yet most clients don't have Blu-ray players at home but they all get a demo on DVD so they can see that our SD quality is still excellent. My view is to always show your best work in the best way.

But we're always testing, trying different ideas to make our investment even more worthwhile. Remember your market is probably very different to mine and to most other people's here. By all means take technical criticism but in terms of objectivity and purpose, make up your own mind. No-one knows your business better than you.

IMHO you're halfway there already because you've got wedding video clients. A someone who's been in the video business for 30 years, although concentrating on weddings excusively for the past four, the most difficult programme to make is your first.

Good luck.

Tom Hardwick May 1st, 2009 02:51 AM

First the good bits. It's the right length, the fades to white and the flare /soft focus I liked.

But like the others here I feel the audio had far too much echo, and
(38) back of the head shot should be removed.
(19) this shot is superfluous
(50) zoom back - to where?
1:08 just too much shake even for a dance shot
1:03 3 frames long? Not enough.

I'd remove the capital letters in Feel Again Moment, and up the brightness levels of the b & w shots.

If you get this right then your stipulation that a professional should be used will hold up.

tom.

Yunisbel Marrero May 1st, 2009 06:29 AM

thanks again for your comments, this really help me to see points that I didn't see before. I'm going to keep working with this using your recommendation, and soon I will have another version I will share with you guys again. I just need more footages for this for be better.

thanks again and I really appreciate your help

yunisbel