good reception light? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #16
Major Player

That makes job easier eh philip? I wish we can dictate the bride and groom that much here. :P

the venue usually won't crank that much light up for you because of the reason of "nice ambience", which I think pretty reasonable..

Can I ask if this battery is any good? any suggestion?

Batteries and battery packs from PowerStream.

I'm thinking to purchase lowel ilight non dimmable light. do you think its worth getting the dimmable idlight?

Thanks

Santo
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:07 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Taky, this is essentially the Sony HVL-LBP LED light, except it's a knockoff of it.
So the results should be the same as what was mentioned here already.
Someone else has pointed out the Comer light has a different spec than the Sony HVL-LBP light. Comer is brighter at 1800 lux at 1m versus Sony's 1200 lux at 1m. Comer light is also color corrected to 4500K where Sony is 5600K day light.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #18
Tourist

Comer Lights @ Reception

I bought the Comer 1800 LED lights from Taky Cheung of LAcolor and took it to a wedding on the weekend and I have to say what an amazing light it is. It made a huge difference to the picture quality esp at the reception where lights are dim. Great thing about it is that it is dimmable as well. Light is evenly spread out. I love it!
Derek Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Why is it that most wedding videogs don't think to plug anything into the wall. After all, unless the DJ brought a generator, then surly their are plugs. And just like that, the battery problem and the wattage problem go away. Wish I could speak from experience, but I'm saving up for the lights I want.

I'm not talking about 'on camera lighting'. Instead, get those lights up high, like the DJ's do. Make your own spotlight in the middle of the dance floor. That way, instead of taking away from the guest's experience, you are adding more dramatic effect to it. This is my plan.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Shooting events like weddings, you just don't have the luxury to setup everything as in a studio. There are times events (e.g. Table to table toasting, games with guests, etc...) are happening off the stage/dance floor. If connecting your equipment to the wall, you will have to tape all wires on the floor and you are bound to that position, Can't move. I never seem any DJ bring any generator. Even if they do, why would the DJ let you connect to his/her generator.

In some events, clients hired lighting companies to provide uplights, gobo projection and stuff. But that doesn't mean a videographer can go shoot without any lights prepared. On-camera light isn't perfect but it's the effiicent way to go shooting events. I myself use two cameras and have lights mount on each. So the lighting I have is not all on-axis.

Just my 2 cents :)
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Harjo View Post
Why is it that most wedding videogs don't think to plug anything into the wall. After all, unless the DJ brought a generator, then surly their are plugs. And just like that, the battery problem and the wattage problem go away. Wish I could speak from experience, but I'm saving up for the lights I want.

I'm not talking about 'on camera lighting'. Instead, get those lights up high, like the DJ's do. Make your own spotlight in the middle of the dance floor. That way, instead of taking away from the guest's experience, you are adding more dramatic effect to it. This is my plan.
There's no way on God's green earth that I'd toss a 650 or 1000 watt light on a stand with people milling around underneath it. Somebody runs into the stand or trips on a chord and you've got several pounds of extremely hot light falling to the floor from 10 feet up. No thanks.

Those lights are just fine for a controlled setting, but anywhere near a dance floor is asking for trouble. I'm sure there are people who do it, I'm just not gonna be one of them.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques