My Place In Heaven Has Been Reserved... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #31
Major Player

FYI... after photo 927, there is a wet bar at my reserved place in heaven...
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #32
Major Player

This entire thread is hilarious, made my day, your nightmare! Photos eat up system resources, don't even want to know how the render will go. God himself will meet you at the gates, haha :)
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #33
Major Player

When all is said and done, it's your name going on the montage. Anyone should be able to watch a well done montage and have it keep their interest. No matter what you do, even family members will tune it out long before it's over. It's not always about the money and the customer is not always right. You're the professional.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #34
Major Player

Actually, I'm not putting my name anywhere on the sucker. I'm handing her four DVDs when it's done. Just like she wants.

The original quote was $4,500 for that many pictures. But she couldn't afford that and a grand was the best she could do. So I came down $3,500 and also came down off of my creativity as well. No dissolves, wipes, movement, etc.

It's EXACTLY what she wants. And as the professional, I'm giving her what she wants.
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #35
Major Player

You're giving her what she wants but what do you get out of it? It's not going to be something you'll be proud of, It's taking all your creativity out of the equation and you're doing it for pennies. Not every job is worth taking. Sometimes you just need to say no.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
You're giving her what she wants but what do you get out of it? It's not going to be something you'll be proud of, It's taking all your creativity out of the equation and you're doing it for pennies. Not every job is worth taking. Sometimes you just need to say no.
I don't know ... I could do this in about 2 hours. AND I could do Ken Burns too. That is why I purchased VASST Ultimate S Pro. :-) But US Pro throws some very odd movements every once and a while, so I usually have to correct most of the movements.

But the boredom might cause me to poke my eyes out.

As far as customer vs reputation... I think he is doing the right thing. Do the job, take the money, leave your name off of it. If she is so proud of it, let her refer people. And then he can take a few minutes when he talks to the referrals and explain the non-standard nature of this work.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
If she is so proud of it, let her refer people.
Just think how much fun Blake will have when he gets a reputation for being good at these behemoth montages. Maybe we can help him come up with a good tag line for his web site that highlights this specialty.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
I'm getting a thousand bucks out of it. Started on Monday, finish tonight. A few hours each night and I'm done.

Creativity? I'd love to be creative. But my creativity is something she doesn't want nor can afford. So should I sacrifice income because I can't be creative on ONE project?

Yes, I'm doing it for pennies. 165 pennies per picture, actually. That's one heckuva deal. And if this lady hadn't been so organized and made this task easy to put together, I probably would have turned it down.

I'm not scanning 1,650 pictures and picking the order they go in!

Last edited by Blake Cavett; May 6th, 2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Can't do math...
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #39
Major Player

What a waste of money.. what is the point of syncing it up to music during cocktail hour? Better to just hook up an Apple TV or laptop and play the slideshow from that..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #40
Major Player

Blake, I'm not trying to tell you how to run your business. If you're happy doing it, then that's what works for you. I was just adding my own personal feeling about those types of situations and clients.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #41
Trustee

So how did it look? Better than you expected? Worse?

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around it.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #42
Regular Crew

I'd probably do it, given the disclaimers Blake has made about how fast it will seem. That's a lot of pictures. Sad thing is, after four or five minutes of people being polite and watching the slideshow, they're going to tune it out and it's going to become a background shenanigan really quickly.

I don't know how it is in a lot of urban areas, but in less populated areas like mine, you have to try to take every job that comes at you. That means taking jobs you don't necessarily like, and very often doing jobs for much less than you would want to because you have to get the client before they look elsewhere. So much of my business is based on referrals and repeat customers, I try to never shun a potential new customer.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #43
New Boot

Glad she didn't cross the river.
Ronnie Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #44
Major Player

The first thought that came to my mind was to scale the pix and show four up at a time (or more with some pix), displaying each quad for about 4 seconds. For the occasional choice pix, I'd do a full scale zoom-in for another 3-4 seconds (perhaps with a Ken Burns effect).

I suspect your client would be more than happy to select say "the top 50" photos for special highlight. Anyway, just a thought...

Lotsa luck,

Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #45
Major Player

Hey Rob, no problem and I do appreciate your two cents!

The montage doesn't look 'bad.' Obviously it's not the way I'd like a montage to look. I think it's boring.

But I also have to keep in mind that this is for HER FAMILY, not mine... and just seeing the pictures to the music she selected will probably have everyone 'oohing & ahhing' and such.

I am in agreeance with how this play out at the rehearsal dinner. After 5-8 minutes, I'm sure people will be like, 'Can I eat now? How much longer is this thing? Will it look rude if I get up and grab a drink?'

And those are the things I told her about 3 months ago... but to no avail!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques