DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding Deliverables (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/234808-wedding-deliverables.html)

Aaron J. Yates May 6th, 2009 02:54 PM

Wedding Deliverables

So I just received my first shipment this year of printed DVDs from discmakers.com. They look pretty good -- much more professional than what I've been creating at home with my DVD printer. I got 10 DVDs for each wedding and it cost about $80 per wedding when you add shipping and tax. I think for a $2,000 plus wedding it's worth it.

What do you guys do for deliverables and where/how do you get them made? How many DVDs do you give the BG? Anything else you deliver along with the finished DVDs?

John J. Arnold May 6th, 2009 03:29 PM

With most of my packages, I give clients 3 discs, which I print on my own printer. I hadn't heard of Diskmakers.com. How does it work? Will they print a run of 10 custom discs, with B&G's name/wedding date, etc.? Or do you just order pre-printed discs & cases in bulk?

Aaron J. Yates May 6th, 2009 03:51 PM

Discmakers.com

John,

It's pretty awesome, actually. They will do runs with as few as 10 DVDs. They have all kinds of choices for the type of case, the type of covers, the type of inserts, etc. You design your own custom cover and DVD face and then upload it via their site. You can get the price estimate right away.

Starting to sound like I work for them... I promise I do not. This was my first experience with their company and I have been quite satisfied. I used to always print my own at home, but when you have solid color DVD cases to print, you run out of ink in no time. Also, I found that the discs I printed on tended to smear, whereas these I got today seem to hold up really well.

Does anyone else have experience with these guys or a different company?

Travis Cossel May 6th, 2009 04:50 PM

I used them once and was happy. I just chose to go with someone local because the price difference was slim at the time and I having someone local to work with and support. I would probably use them for larger run projects, though because the savings would be too tempting.

John J. Arnold May 7th, 2009 10:30 AM

Thanks guys. I'll check them out for my next gig.

Bryan Daugherty May 7th, 2009 08:29 PM

I have not used them myself but I have 2 colleagues who have. They will do glass masters (replication) for runs over 500 and print a barcode which is awesome for commercial releases.

Friend "A" is a singer/songwriter with his own label and has used discmaker's for several CD releases and the results were always stunning, delivered as ordered, and on time.

Friend "B" is Director of Media for a local non-profit and has used them for mass producing training DVDs. His reviews have always been top notch of their services.

I am glad to hear they are now offering duplication services at a min of 10 copies. I have been trying to decide whether to publish a project I am releasing in a few weeks (about 40 discs) or to outsource it. Excellent news and thanks for the heads-up!

Jon Geddes May 11th, 2009 12:05 PM

For disc labels, we print ours directly on the disc using an Epson Stylus Photo R800. The results are good if the colors are calibrated correctly. Also, if you use cheap ink or settings aren't correct, your colors can come out very faded.

As far as covers go, we have them printed at Kinkos for 50 cents or so. The results are 10 times better than our $1000 color laser printer. Definitely worth the 50 cents when you consider the quality difference, and not having to use your own ink/toner.

We usually give clients 4 standard dvd's or one blu-ray. Obviously if you are having your discs pressed (replicated), then you would have the label screen printed to the disc, and have them print the covers for you as well.

I personally use QRS Software Services for replication as they are local for me here in Orange County California, and I've developed a good business relationship with them. Excellent prices and they really know their stuff.