Your Delivered Project? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #1
Major Player

Your Delivered Project?

Will you guys share what your delivered project looks like. I would love to see the case and insert.

We are very upscale on our photography final project, nice black box, with logo etc. Want to deliver DVD's in a great manor also.
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Denny...

I too originally wanted to do the same. Instead though I decided to go a different route and try to create a DVD jacket that best resembles the real deal. I got the idea from someone else on this board who does an awesome job at it. I bought photoshop elements and was fairly happy with the results.
This was my first experiment. This is the jacket that I made for my wife and I's DVD.
Now that I know how to use the program a little better I'm confident the next will look much nicer and more authentic.
Steve
http://www.persemprevideos.com/matrimonioitaliano.png
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Curious Too

I saw the Neill sp enterprises leather box for about $10 each that looks cool. Easy to put a little pic in the window and maybe print on the DVD.

CD Holder Albums | Albums |

Put my hands on one at WEVA.

I am considering this as an option. I do many resort "package" videos so I use the regular blockbuster type DVD cases in black, but you said high end so this won't apply.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The leather box above seems like a nice idea to give to the B&G on their copy. I generally print custom designed inserts for each wedding or event on meritline glossy inserts and use slimline plastic DVD cases, making sure I get spine text readable, even on the slim cases (this is a big thing that many people overlook).

@Stephen:
While the hollywood case design would be great for a themed wedding or a B&G obsessed with movies, I think it would come across to a lot of potential clients as tacky when compared to a classier, more traditional design. What are you experiences with this? (Don't take the tacky part as an insult at all, was just echoing what a vocal minority of brides I've been dealing with lately might think, I think it looks fine, and like I said, would be great for a hollywood themed wedding or as something subtle for a B&G who were movie nuts)
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Trustee

Search this list and you'll see a lot of examples. There was a fairly large thread that went inactive about two months back.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Not sure what the reactions will be from the B&G... This is something new for me and the only opinion I have to go by is my wife's. She perfers it to the leather cases. I think if you do it right it can be pulled off without being perceived as tacky.
For the wedding project I have in front of my now, the photographer is allowing me use the pictures to create the jacket. I'm confident that my clients will like it.
For me it's just another part of creative design that I enjoy.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #7
Trustee

The OP created in intersting topic. We take this line/reasoning.

Cases
Our products don't have to fight for attention in a shop or rental outlet, nor are they scale downs from cinema releases where some tie-in would be desirable, so we keep them clean and simple. That means good quality DVD cases, smple wrap-around insert with a good pic from the original of the B&G. Clean, romantic text in grey describing names and date. Spine text in grey - very important as someone else observed - also get it the right way round, start at top of spine. Rear of cases logo, legals and contacts.

Disks
Clean simple text, legals and logo printed on face.

Many of our competitors spend hours on the disk face with pics etc. Our reasoning is that clients are interested in what's on the disk when in the player thus the disk face gets see for a few seconds whilst the case is open.

Chaptering/Motion menus
Up to 18 or 20 chapters per wedding video, all with motion menus, all done in DVD Studio. This work will be seen and used often so make it as special as you can.

Hope this helps.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
Will you guys share what your delivered project looks like. I would love to see the case and insert.
Here are 2 from last year you can look at. These are Quinceanera's and I have pretty much used this template for the last 2yrs now. Thinking of doing something different next year but I will wait for next year to get here.

DVD Insert example
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Here are 2 from last year you can look at. These are Quinceanera's and I have pretty much used this template for the last 2yrs now. Thinking of doing something different next year but I will wait for next year to get here.

DVD Insert example
I like these a lot, they focus on the bride and the MOH as well as seem to highlight the cultural aspects of the wedding without resulting to gimmicks.

Great job.
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
Our reasoning is that clients are interested in what's on the disk when in the player thus the disk face gets see for a few seconds whilst the case is open.
I respectfully disagree. I think it's the details that separate the professionals from the "prosumer" category. We always try to give our clients more than they expect. We design all our artwork and then get our DVD cases and DVD prints done by discmakers.com. It's not that expensive, and we think the quality makes it worthwhile.

Also, I'm considering adding the leather bound copy for the bride and groom after reading this thread. That's a super-nice touch that makes their copy extra special.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques