Information for Chris H.'s changes to wedding board... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Would you object to videos being posted for private review so that they couldn't easily be found by Google? I could easily imagine (having already posted stuff like that) putting a video up of terrible material in order to ask advice on how to fix a problem or whatever. It would be great to be able to frankly discuss such material without having to worry.
You can get a Vimeo Pro account $60 / yr) and then dictate that the video can only be viewed embedded in websites X, Y, Z. etc. That is what I have done with some of my videos. I get the pro account to post my portfolio, and them embed it in my web site wit ha specific restriction that the videos can only be viewed from inside of my web site.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
I get the pro account to post my portfolio, and them embed it in my web site wit ha specific restriction that the videos can only be viewed from inside of my web site.
Hi Jason,

But how does this keep the video out of google's search? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your explanation.

I'm envisioning wanting to post something sensitive. Let's say I get horrible footage from a videographer, and I want advice on how to fix something, so I post it to the 'invitation only' section.

Then a moderator sees it, thinks "hey, that's a video" and moves it to the video posting section. The bride happens to search for info on her editor, my posting pops up and she gets mad to see that I said the videographer screwed up her wedding. Or prospective clients see my thread and decide not to book.

At present, I just wouldn't post something like that, losing the opportunity to ask for help.
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Jason,

But how does this keep the video out of google's search? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your explanation....
So how I was thinking was that the private section is where you would post the "WTF was this guy thinking" post and that post would be in the restricted section. You then UL to vimeo and have a site restriction to DVInfo. This would mean the video would have to be embedded (and not just a link).... AND you are correct in that if the post is moved from private forum to public forum, then the whole point for the private forum was defeated.

If embedded Vimeo videos are not possible on the forum, then posting to the private section with a password protected vimeo video might solve that issue, but not if both the passwrod & video link get moved to a public area.
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
If embedded Vimeo videos are not possible on the forum, then posting to the private section with a password protected vimeo video might solve that issue, but not if both the passwrod & video link get moved to a public area.
Okay, I understand your idea now. Seems to me it would be more simple to be able to put videos in the 'invitation only' section, and you wouldn't have to buy a Vimeo Pro membership.

Anyway, I'm sure Chris will figure out the best way to handle it.

Ciao,
Vito
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Okay, I understand your idea now. Seems to me it would be more simple to be able to put videos in the 'invitation only' section, and you wouldn't have to buy a Vimeo Pro membership.
True, but the embedded control features that come with the pro version are totally worth it (for me that is). And if you are showing HD video clips, the tne pro version is well worth it too.

Not that I am volunteering to pay for access to a private section of DVInfo, but I TOTALLY WOULD. If that was all that was needed to get the private wedding / event section private video viewing sections implemented, then I'd be all over that. Besides, DVi has made me & my business possible. If Chris isn't getting some bank as a result of his vision & planning to create this board, then well... why not?
Old June 4th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Great idea. I'll approach Paul on bended knee, with clasped hands and a teary eye (it's worked before; worth trying again).
Okay, stop crying. ;) I'll be happy to work on something, though it might take a bit of time.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #22
Major Player

how about a new segment about apprenticeship? so that people who wants to learn can post their interest and look for someone to mentor them. I'd be happy if there's such board a few years ago when I was starting out.

similar one will be for people looking for jobs as second camera operator or whatever it is.

maybe there's a way to differentiate between countries of origin somehow too..

just my 2 million..

Santo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques