DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   zoom H2 usage question for wedding.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/235274-zoom-h2-usage-question-wedding.html)

Yang Wen May 13th, 2009 09:41 AM

zoom H2 usage question for wedding..

I just purchased 2 H2s.. I'm assuming I should use the Auto AGC/Limiter feature... Which AGC setting do you guys typically use? I mainly will be using it to capture ambient audio at noisy receptions (booming music, live dance performances, audience reaction) and also up on the altar at ceremonies..

How does the 2ch surround sound compared to normal 2ch front or 2ch rear? Is the 2ch surround mode basically a gimmick?

Thanks!

Peter Rush May 13th, 2009 12:09 PM

Hi Yang.

I bought a H2 and immidiately found it too bulky to be used in the groom's pocket so I bought an Olympus WS-311M instead. I do find it useful for putting nearby the ceremony for ambient/backup purposes, and to put on the top table for the speeches.

The surround setting records from both fron and rear but I don't use it son can't comment. I do howerver use AGC set to AGC1(normal) and have had no problems. A good buy

Pete

Michael Liebergot May 13th, 2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1142441)
I just purchased 2 H2s.. I'm assuming I should use the Auto AGC/Limiter feature... Which AGC setting do you guys typically use? I mainly will be using it to capture ambient audio at noisy receptions (booming music, live dance performances, audience reaction) and also up on the altar at ceremonies..

How does the 2ch surround sound compared to normal 2ch front or 2ch rear? Is the 2ch surround mode basically a gimmick?

Thanks!

I generally will use the 2-channel surround setting form most situations, as it creates a real nice audio feel. If I'm recording an quartet, then sometimes I might place the H2 in the middle of the musicians and use 4 channel, which also creates a nice 5.1 feel.

The H2 shines while recording vocals, strings, bands and such where audio will be low to medium in volume.

However the H2 is NOT good when recording very loud environments. If you use the H2 in this setting then use the Low Gain setting and don;t even bother with AGC or limiters,as they are in the digital domain and don;t work fast enough to stop clipping.

Speaking of clipping, the H2 creates an awful electronic chirping sound when it clips. So if your audio clips, it won;t be recoverable. And turning the recording gain down lower to prevent clipping won;t work either, as the pre amps are after the input on the board. So all you will get is quieter clipped audio. The low pre amp setting and proper placement are your best bet in a very loud environment. Don't place the recorder too close to you PA's.

I use the H2 often in live environments and it works well as long as you know it's limitations.

Yang Wen May 13th, 2009 02:34 PM

Thanks for the tips..

I have an Olympus DS30 and a wireless system, those are much more compact than the H2. I'm really hoping to use the H2 to pickup wide expansive ambient sound.. I wont' be placing it close to the DJ speakers but perhaps on the opposite side of the reception hall to hopefully capture speeches, claps and laughs... Will the H2 work well for this purpose?

I'm also a bit confused with regards to the Rec Level H2, especially that there is also Mic Gain. Doesn't those two do the same thing?

Michael Liebergot May 13th, 2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1142591)
Thanks for the tips..

I have an Olympus DS30 and a wireless system, those are much more compact than the H2. I'm really hoping to use the H2 to pickup wide expansive ambient sound.. I wont' be placing it close to the DJ speakers but perhaps on the opposite side of the reception hall to hopefully capture speeches, claps and laughs... Will the H2 work well for this purpose?

I'm also a bit confused with regards to the Rec Level H2, especially that there is also Mic Gain. Doesn't those two do the same thing?

First off don;t place he H2 too far across the room, as you will get too much of a mix and pickup more crowd and less music. It's best to be in the vicinity of the PA stacks but not on top of them.

The H2's pre amps were wired in not too smart a matter. The pre amps were placed after the input gain on the H2's board. So instead of the pre amps preventing clipping when loud levels are sent into the H2. They don't kick in until after the input has already hit the board. So in other words they don't work.

True gain on the H2 is the 100 setting. So you want to record at 100 or above. If your audio is still clipping at 100, then either make sure the L (low) gain setting is enabled and or move the recorder to a different location.

And in regards to the gain setting, what I meant was that normally when you decrease the input gain your chance of clipping is reduced. But true gain on the H2 is 100,

If your source is too loud, then you will still clip