The "Imagine" Prewedding Film Concept at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 14th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #1
Major Player

The "Imagine" Prewedding Film Concept

Hi guys,

Thought I'd share these with you guys. both of them were using our company's original prewedding concept "Imagine" which is basically the bride-to-be is sort of imagining what her wedding day would be like.

PreWedding Film Sela & Simi "IMAGINE" by Susanto Widjaja on Vimeo

Andrew & Lili Prewedding Film "IMAGINE" Same Day Edit Love Story on Vimeo

The second one was made with half SDE, we put in the wedding footage on the day and show it on the night.

Looking forward to hear some thoughts :)

Santo
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #2
Trustee

Great idea - takes some of the stress off the SDE, beautifully executed - I want to go back and re-edit my last one to make the music fit better now.

My only comment is with the first one , you used an effect in post for the dream sequences that looked 'dirty' - maybe that's not a good way of describing it, but I felt it took something away from a great video.
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi paul,

Thanks for your comments!

Not sure if I understood what you meant by "dirty" though..

Maybe the video was compressed poorly. I'm going to post a hd version of it soon. Maybe it'll be clearer :)

Santo
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Santo,

I looked at the SDE first. It was so good that I watched the other "Imagine" clip. They were both very good.

I actually liked the second one better, but it may have been because I can just "Imagine" (pun intended) how the guests were freaking out as they watched the clip at the reception. That would have been a great SDE if you had been doing them for years, but for your first one, that was incredible!

We had a videographer from Singapore come to one of our workshops in Tulsa. He showed us many of the pre wedding games that they go through in order for the Groom to see the Bride and your video reminded me of that. It's so much more fun than American weddings.
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Mark!

Thats good that you liked them. the games are called GATE CRASHING where the groom has to bribe his way in to see the bride. Its very fun. My original culture doesn't have these sort of things but since I'm asian then I guess I'm forced to be familiar :P

yea doing SDE for the first "Imagine" would be cool... but last year I just sort of started doing these stuff, so I don't think I was up for it yet.

I hope to do more SDE in the future. Its fun and my business cards were going away really quick! :P

Santo
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Preferred the 1st one but loved them both. In particular syncing the movement of the bride between pre-wedding day and wedding day was a master stroke. Well done.

Steve
Steve Slattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #7
Inner Circle

What a fun and fresh idea! Both of those were great, although the first might be my favorite. They're different enough that it's hard to decide, lol.

Anyways, great concept and execution. One idea is that when you have the bride mimic something that happens on the wedding day, sometimes show the wedding day shot first. In the first video, when she wipes away a tear, I just started thinking how powerful it would be if you saw her wiping a tear away for real, and then saw the shot of her imagining it. I think once you break into the 'imagine state' it can be really powerful to show the real situations first, and her imagined visuals afterwards.

Top notch and very well done. I especially like the idea that it takes pressure off of producing a full-length SDE while also giving the SDE more meaning and makes it different from a highlights. Kudos to you!!
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Simply amazing. Great concept, and executed quite nice. I especially like the second one. The fact that it was an SDE is great, but even without knowing that, it's still great. The music fit your edits great. Beautiful transistions of the bride's feet and as it pulls up, it kicks into the wedding.

What makes it too is how much fun the people of the wedding were having, especially the groomsmen! Great action shots!

Looked like a fun wedding, and it was shown in those vids. Kudos!

E
Eric Pasarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #9
Major Player

Thank you guys for the lovely comments!!

Travis, I never thought of that... THANK YOU!!!! will try to implement that in the next one.
I gueess the whole fun at the wedding helped a lot in this video. these guys were really into the games, which is good.

Santo
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #10
Regular Crew

It's great to have someone of your calibre on our shores.

Love the whole 'imagine' concept.
Dean Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #11
Regular Crew

That's truly an original concept and wow - what a great job you've done Santo. Totally love the idea - no doubt you'll get a few people 'borrowing it'!

I also like the idea of easing into a full SDE by offering a half SDE first. It's a good way to go about it and practice the edit under pressure. Must have got a wild response at the reception!

I think the 'dirty' look referred to in the first video is purely compression related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Morris View Post
It's great to have someone of your calibre on our shores.
Ditto to that and well done!

Cheers,

Matt.
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #12
Major Player

I loved that first one alot! Great job.

I kinda have to say the opposite of Travis here when I say that I thought it was more powerful to show the staged shot first THEN the actual shot from the wedding day. For instance when you showed the wrist movement in her dance, then showed the same movement in the dance on the actual day. Really powerful storytelling.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks Dean and Matt fellow aussies..

I guess having people borrowing the idea would be ok for me since I have learned a lot from seeing other people's work as well. At least now i have posted the idea first! :P

David:
Thanks for your comment, I think I'd try to mix and match the two ways together. we'll see how it would turns out. I have a feeling it will be good :)

Santo
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #14
Trustee

wow... that second one (I watched out of order) is absolutely amazing story telling! Fantastic job with weaving the past & present footage together!

Now i'm going to watch the first one
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Jason,

I thought you were gonna write a separate review for the first one hahahhaa.

Any more ideas to add to this concept guys (and gals) ?

Santo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques