5D Mark 2 setup - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Or even Sony. I have a great set of minolta/sony lenses that would be perfect for this kind of stuff. I think I'll wait till they decide to put out a model that does video. Till then, I'll be happy with the HMC150.

I don't think you'd want to use just a 5D though. From the little I know it has a length limit (12 minutes?) so you would still need a normal cam if you were filming entire ceremonies, rather than just short clips. But I could be wrong, I haven't done much research in the 5D.
Eric Pasarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #17
Inner Circle

SO I'm not the only one with sony/minolta glass and wishing Sony would do an Alpha with video...

Looks like this years announcements were a no-show for video in a DSLR from Sony, at least in the Alpha line. Their little HX1 is a cheap photo/video combo, but won't come close to either the A350 or XR500V on either discipline... Both of those cams are quite good, but one cam for both is handy - the HX1 is a lot of fun to shoot with, but a bit disappointing on the image end of things. Sometimes you have to wonder what manufacturers are thinking = even just giving the HX1 the "R" sensor would have made a huge difference.

I like the idea of a DSLR with video, at least for some uses (short segements with shallow DoF), and with a QR on my stabilizing rigs, switching between a video cam and a DSLR is not a big deal. The Canon really opened the door to some new possibilites, I just wish that the othe big manufacturers would take the concept and run with it. Sony logically COULD do it, but seems like their photo and video departments are not in sync... maybe next year...

For the ND filters, you could stack a couple of polarizers for a cheap instant "variable ND" - I've fiddled with than on my video cameras in bright sun, and I see people using that trick on their 5D's.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques