DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Destination Wedding in Mexico (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/236138-destination-wedding-mexico.html)

Ryan Sarmiento May 26th, 2009 05:43 PM

Destination Wedding in Mexico

Hi All,

I've been asked to film a destination wedding in Cancun this coming November, and I was wondering if any of you have recently filmed there, or what would you recommend I take? I've heard that customs at the airport is questionable so I should pack the cameras in a regular (but well padded) carry-on suitcase as opposed to my pelican case.

I did do a Mexican Cruise last year, but that was different.

Any thoughts and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Michael Padilla May 26th, 2009 05:52 PM

I went for a wedding in Nov 2006 and it was totally kick back relaxed. We took two XHA1's (newly released at the time) in a hard case; Stabilizer; Tripods; Wireless Lavs etc.. no problem. But back then we didn't need a passport either :D

I love cancun!!! Have fun! Hopefully you are staying longer than just a couple of days?

Don Bloom May 26th, 2009 05:54 PM

I prefer a well padded regular looking suitcase instead of a "camera looking case" but make 100% sure it will fit in the overhead. Pack everything you need in that case. Batteries, tapes, audio gear, charger(s), on cam light, EVERYTHING and here's the most important part. Do not let go of it for anything-never out of your sight, at the security checkpoint make sure you stand there while it starts the ride on the conveyor belt. Get thru the metal detector as fast as you can and get to the case quickly. They may want to open it and hand check it, make sure you're there to do that. I packed a monopod and a small liteweight tripod in my checked bag before and that went thru fine but the camera and audio gear N E V E R!
Have fun in Cancun.

Jason Robinson May 26th, 2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1148712)
I prefer a well padded regular looking suitcase instead of a "camera looking case" but make 100% sure it will fit in the overhead. Pack everything you need in that case. Batteries, tapes, audio gear, charger(s), on cam light, EVERYTHING and here's the most important part. Do not let go of it for anything-never out of your sight, at the security checkpoint make sure you stand there while it starts the ride on the conveyor belt. Get thru the metal detector as fast as you can and get to the case quickly. They may want to open it and hand check it, make sure you're there to do that. I packed a monopod and a small liteweight tripod in my checked bag before and that went thru fine but the camera and audio gear N E V E R!
Have fun in Cancun.

Don is this advice generic for all airline travel, or specific to experience with Mexico air travel?

Don Bloom May 26th, 2009 07:37 PM

Well since 9/11 I use the soft case no matter what when I fly with my gear.Before that Iused a hard case and if it didn't fit they made room in the closet. Now though more than ever no matter what they rarely if ever make any kind of allowances (I mean come on-charge me for the 2nd bag but the first??? and a chocolate cookie for $4.00-it better be 1 great cookie) anyway to me it's SOP. I fly with my gear it's soft case and all in it for me.

Ryan Sarmiento May 27th, 2009 09:47 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I will definitely do the regular suitcase route and pack my tripod and monopod in the check-in bag.

Don Bloom May 27th, 2009 11:32 AM

just make sure it's well padded and will fit in the overhead. 21" and some 22" do. Anything bigger and iit won't.