company name? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
I would strongly suggest you not use the name of another company even if they are far away. This world is small, and it is good to not make enimies before you make friends. :-)
Actually, this world is very, very large and the odds of finding a company name that does not already exist are very small. A few months ago someone posted here how they worked very hard to make sure their company name was unique, and I found three other companies with the same exact name after only a minute of googling.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Paul,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
Your business name doesn't have to be the same as your URL.
No - it doesn't. But the way you've arranged your brand essentially does the same thing. By having your wedding division have the same name as your url you've tied it all together into a brand people can remember and spell. Also, search engines take into account the url name first, then the header, followed by the keywords and lastly the meta data so having the url tie into your header which is repeated in your text is all good. The only thing that I'm not in favor of is having any other characters in the url that aren't letters only because It isn't going to be the first way a prospective client tries to find you, though there is the thinking that google doesn't 'see' the dash and vertical bar (pipe) characters so they don't hurt your ranking.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:43 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
.tv is even available now.

I would strongly suggest you not use the name of another company even if they are far away. This world is small, and it is good to not make enimies before you make friends. :-)

For example, I wouldnt' dream of taking "Stillmotion.com" (or similar) because there already is a stillmotion and there is none like them.

Make it easy to remember and easy to search. If the company name is also in the URL then it makes it more SEO friendly. I like the fantasy and your moment ones.

I opted for a very generic company name so that it could include corp work as well. So far, no corp work.... but I'm working to build that. :-)
Here's are some interesting facts about .tv (which we use) .tv - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:10 AM   #19
Major Player

hey folks thank you all for the great insight into this issue. I really appreciate it.

I have decided for the moment to go with "david schuurman wedding cinema" and use my own name as my brand.
what doyou think would be a better URL? dsweddings.com? dsweddingcinema.com? or dsweddingfilms.com?

will there be a search engine advantage of one over the other?

thanks
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:17 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schuurman View Post
hey folks thank you all for the great insight into this issue. I really appreciate it.

I have decided for the moment to go with "david schuurman wedding cinema" and use my own name as my brand.
what doyou think would be a better URL? dsweddings.com? dsweddingcinema.com? or dsweddingfilms.com?

thanks
There might be, but it is hard to say what that advantage might be. Google is very secretive about their algorithm. :-)

I personally like either of the last two because possible search phrases are in the URL.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:47 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schuurman View Post
Yes. Domains that have popular search terms in them will generally rank higher. For example, "dsweddingvideo.com" would generally rank higher than "dsweddingcinema.com" when people search for "wedding video". Vise-versa when searching for "wedding cinema". However, more people would search "video" rather than "cinema".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson
There might be, but it is hard to say what that advantage might be. Google is very secretive about their algorithm.
Google is quite transparent about their search criteria. You can find out more here: www.google.com/webmasters/tools/
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:56 PM   #22
Major Player

so I suppose it would be a good idea to register both URL's so I can get the "wedding cinema" on my card, and get the search engine rankings for wedding video?
David Schuurman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques