DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   website (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/236428-website.html)

Paul Mailath May 30th, 2009 10:06 PM

website

I'm gradually getting organised - got my business cards etc etc and I'm finishing off a website.

www.relive-the-day.mailath.com

this URL will take you to the site until Relive the day is live

The only thing I haven't finished is the bottom tab which will show a highlights reel and redirect to a blog were I will have highlights and comments for each wedding.

I'd be delighted to get some comment - mistakes, things that don't work, suggestions etc

Matt Barwick May 30th, 2009 10:27 PM

Hey Paul,

Congrats on getting the site online - Looks good!

The layout's pretty funky and it's definitely out of the box as far as wedding videography websites go - of which there are a lot that are looking the same these days. I like the positioning for the different categories.

One quick typo in the 'our philosphy' pop up - 'aisle' has an 'a' (unless of course you are actually referring to an isle ie an island) :)

The other thing to keep in mind is the bg music. I read a while ago that quite a few prospective brides-to-be do the majority of their 'research' at work, and if music comes on their first reaction is to close the window. Just a little something to keep in mind.

Well done - will keep an eye out for when you put the samples on.

Cheers,

Matt.

David Schuurman May 31st, 2009 03:54 PM

Matt, that's a really good tip that I didn't ever hear before. Thanks.

Chris Davis May 31st, 2009 05:59 PM

I'd take out the music. Leave the sfx, because I think they add to the experience. It should be fairly easy - there will be one layer for the music which you can just delete. That will also increase the load time.

I'd also add the html version of the site because that will help in the search engine rankings. Google will index flash sites, but I've never seen one show up on the first page.

Jeff Emery May 31st, 2009 07:44 PM

Nice site.

My only suggestion would be to consider getting a name that doesn't use hyphens.

How do you tell someone your website address?

"ah yeah, just go to relive hyphen the hyphen day dot com."

Jeff

Paul Mailath May 31st, 2009 08:57 PM

Great point - the sound has to go & I'll fix the typo's

I thought about the hyphen but decided to leave it in for readability, my business cards and notepads all have the addy clearly displayed so I don't think i'll have a problem. Rather than try to tell someone the website name - I'll just hand them a card.

thanks guys

Steve Elgar May 31st, 2009 09:33 PM

Hey Paul ! Your site is looking good. Puts my crappy site to shame.

Oh yeah!... we still haven't caught up for that coffee (Or Beer) yet.

www.elgarvisualmedia.com.au

Paul Mailath June 1st, 2009 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Elgar (Post 1151553)
coffee (Or Beer)
Video Production

my 2 favourite drinks! - not together though

I'll give you a call and we can arrange a meet in Newie

Dany Badaoui June 1st, 2009 03:29 AM

i liked your website, nice layout and design. the music gets annoying but you are already getting rid of it, the dings are also annoying but thats just my opinion (makes me want to get out of the site). other than that it looks pretty original and very well done.

Jim Snow June 1st, 2009 11:30 AM

Be careful of the download time with Flash web sites. When someone clicks on a link to your web site from a search engine or wherever, that is a very "fragile" point in time. You haven't yet captured their attention so if they don't see your site quickly, they are very likely to hit the back button in their browser before your site loads and never even see your site.

Someone already mentioned the problem with Flash sites and search engine positioning. At best, search engines do a poor job of indexing Flash sites. Very often they are not ranked at all. There is one way to "have your cake and eat it too". Do a HTML landing page as your home page and then have an option of viewing your site as HTML or Flash. The HTML portion of your site can be properly indexed by the search engines so you gain the benefit of that. Your site visitors can also enjoy the enhanced experience of a Flash version of your site if they choose. Doing this takes a bit more effort to develop your web site but it is well worth the time spent. First things first; the highest priority is to have people find and see your site. AFTER they are on your site, they can view the Flash version of your site if they choose but the most important thing is to have them see your site in the first place. A Flash only web site is a bit like having a deep, dark secret because no one can find you.

Chris Davis June 1st, 2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 1151542)
Great point - the sound has to go & I'll fix the typo's

I thought about the hyphen but decided to leave it in for readability, my business cards and notepads all have the addy clearly displayed so I don't think i'll have a problem. Rather than try to tell someone the website name - I'll just hand them a card.

thanks guys

For readability, you'd just print it "www.ReliveTheDay.com". You will tell people your website more often than you'll hand them a card (for example, over the phone.) Saying "relive the day dot com" sounds much better than "relive dash the dash day dot com".