Thoughts on Our New Logo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Thoughts on Our New Logo

We're exploring new logo options for my wife's photography business and I'd love to hear your thoughts on any of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Thoughts on Our New Logo-serendipity_logos.jpg  
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Travis,

The first one instantly stands out as it's bolder, but I am not sure about the positioning of the 'beyond ordinary'

The second does nothing for me

The third seems an inbetween and nicely balanced.

I don't like the forth

or fifth.

I would say something between the first and third!

On a side note, how did you come up with this name!

Cheers
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Trustee

I like the 1st but I'm a bit puzzled about the 'beyond ordinary' - to me it says 'really really ordinary' - like the super hero called mediocre man. I know what you're trying to say - beyond memorable, beyond nice, beyond great - I dunno, maybe it's my warped view of the language.

at the moment I'm beyond tired.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Major Player

I personally like the first and the fourth.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Trustee

When we design a logo, these are the five elements we use when evaluating our designs:

Is it describable?
Is it memorable?
Is it effective without color?
Is it scalable? (i.e. works on a billboard or on a tiny lapel pin)
Is it appropriate? (i.e. fits your business style/image)

I would say your logo meets all of those criteria. While the whole logo with text may not work on a lapel pin, the stylized butterfly would. I'm just guessing the last criteria applies - if you show up to shoot with leather, tattoos and piercings, then maybe not...

I'd say between your five designs, it comes down to personal preference. I prefer number five.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks for all the comments so far everyone! Chris, we definitely have plans to have variations of the logo for different purposes, including instances where we use the butterfly design only. That was a good list you put together there.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
I like the 1st but I'm a bit puzzled about the 'beyond ordinary' - to me it says 'really really ordinary' - like the super hero called mediocre man. I know what you're trying to say - beyond memorable, beyond nice, beyond great - I dunno, maybe it's my warped view of the language.

at the moment I'm beyond tired.
Basically this stems from the fact that the average photographer shoots really ordinary, uninteresting images. My wife doesn't do that, so I came up with the idea that what she shoots is beyond ordinary .. or outside of the ordinary.

John - not really sure how we came up with the name. It was like 5-6 years ago. We spent a lot of time and energy trying to come up with something, and then somehow stumbled across the word Serendipity, and once we double-checked the meaning, it really fit.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Major Player

I like 1st & 4th. I love the name, logo, however not so sure about "beyond ordinary" doesn't form a descriptive picture in my mind that links to what you are trying to say.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Trustee

Travis, I think the problem with "Beyond Ordinary" is that it can be interrupted two ways. I know what you are trying to say but the dual interpretation may not serve you well. You may want to think of a superlative phrase that has no ambiguity with respect to the positive statement that you want to make.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:49 PM   #10
Major Player

Travis, why not just say "outside the ordinary" ?
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:12 PM   #11
Trustee

Travis
To me the 4th one is the most elegant!

Stelios
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:35 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I like the 1st and 4th (if i'm not too late to chime in :)

I think the fonts on those are nice and clear and crisp. Love the use of the "s's" in the butterfly. I see what others are saying about the "beyond ordinary" though. Could you just simply say "extraordinary"? I think thats more along the lines of what you are trying to say. Great job on the logos!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM   #13
Still Motion

travis

i think the tag line really speaks to the demographic that you currently work with. my understanding is that your trying to move out of that and into a higher-end market. if thats the case, i would look at a different way to speak to them.

some put 'best wedding videos in _____' on their site, and for the most part they fall far short of reaching that claim. what does it do to their branding to make such claims and not come close to backing them up?

within the wide world of photography, are the images strong - some certainly are - are they extraordinary - i think that would be a stretch. your work is worth more than what your charging, but your branding in marketing doesn't help convey that. to me, it actually does the opposite and somewhat reinforces it.

with that being said, we probably put more value into this side of things than many do, so perhaps i am over analyzing things - but i do think you can make a stronger impact if you rework things.

P.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Thanks everyone for responding, and kudos to Dawn for catching the "S" forms in the butterfly.

It's somewhat amusing to me that the discussion has turned to the 'beyond ordinary' tagline. I didn't expect that, lol. Our website is already located at 'www.beyondordinary.net'. Also, our experience with the tagline has been awesome for years. We've received a lot of compliments on it from couples and vendors, which is something I never really expected when I came up with it. So although I sincerely appreciate the thoughts on the tagline, we'll definitely be keeping it. d;-)

Patrick, I'm not quite sure where you're coming from since Still Motion doesn't even have a tagline as far as I know. I don't see anything on the website or blog anyways (unless you count the 'photo+cinema'). I guess I don't really see how 'beyond ordinary' applies to our current market but not to a higher end market. Are you saying that it's better to not even have a tagline if you're going for a higher end market? If so, then I have to disagree.

Also, 'beyond ordinary' doesn't just apply to the images we capture (although I do think my wife's images are beyond what ordinary photographers produce). It applies to every aspect of our business. For example, we don't interact with our couples in the same ordinary way that almost everyone else does. We pride ourselves on offering a completely different and 'un-ordinary' type of experience. That's why the tagline is so important in my opinion, even if we're tapping into a high end market.

Maybe I've misunderstood you, and if so, please feel free to help me understand. Thanks!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Travis,

Sometimes you just have to go with gut instinct. I think you have great ideas and logo!, and raw talent which money cannot buy.Wish you much success with the photography side.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques