Need help with Lighting decision at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 9th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Need help with Lighting decision

When I first started out I bought a Luxmen VS313D 3200 Light Kit: LUXMEN VS313D 3200 K VID LIGHT KIT Price Comparison ? Shoptoit.ca

It was in my budget and seemed like a good fit for me. Of course as time went by I realized that it was HEAVY and cumbersome BUT I was able to use it well and liked the results. Then I stared having trouble with it (wouldn't keep a charge) so they gave me a new one. I STILL had trouble with the NEW one holding a charge but this time they sent it in for repair.

While it was gone I bought a Lightpanels Micro LED light: Litepanels

Now while I LOVE that it is sooooo light weight and easy to carry around I'm not all that thrilled with the power of it and found it VERY dim in comparison to what I was using.

My current situation: The old light is fixed (replaced all neccessary parts) and I can choose to:

1. Keep the old and get rid of the new. The old light hasn't been reliable, weighs a TON but I LOVE what it does.

2. Return the fixed light for a full refund and keep the second light (the lightpanels) but I wasn't thrilled with the end result

or I guess return both and try to find another option. I have NOOO idea what my options are but I do know that I can't afford to shell out $1000 on a light system.

PS I shoot a with GL2 if that matters.

I would really appreciate any advice or opinions.
Thanks!
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Kelsey,
reliability and effective use are two really important things, the weight isn't as important I would think. But it sounds like the LP micro wouldn't be good to keep because you're dissatisfied with the result, and the other one doesn't seem like a good thing to keep because it will probably break again. therefore you should look into getting a different light.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Dave!

The problem is that I have NOOOO idea what to get. I have about 24 hrs to decide and then I either own BOTH of these lights or I have to return them both and then I have nothing!! eeek!

Being right in the middle of wedding season requires for me to have SOMETHING so I need to decide quick!
Old June 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Major Player

go to henrys or vistek, or burlington camera and check out their selection, bescor has a ton of lights in a variety of wattages and whatnot. basically you're looking for something that has the output of the luxmen and the reliability of the LP. So go check out some new ones. best thing is that you can return the two old ones and buy a new one and if you don't like it you can return in within 7 days or 14 days or whatever their return policy is so you don't have to decide absolutely in 24 hours.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schuurman View Post
go to henrys or vistek, or burlington camera and check out their selection, bescor has a ton of lights in a variety of wattages and whatnot. basically you're looking for something that has the output of the luxmen and the reliability of the LP. So go check out some new ones. best thing is that you can return the two old ones and buy a new one and if you don't like it you can return in within 7 days or 14 days or whatever their return policy is so you don't have to decide absolutely in 24 hours.
I am currently dealing with Henrys and pushing the "exchange/return" policy thru the roof!
They have been VERY accomodating thus far.

the only problem...as far as they know the next possible "system" that fits my criteria is about $1,000. Which is no longer a solution for me.

I was hoping someone here could shed some additional light onto the situation. I really appreciate your help!!
Old June 9th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #6
Inner Circle

there are some Bescor lights that run on a 'juice box' battery that with a 50W bulb will go for 75 minutes-or you can do what I did when I used one. I put a 35W bulb in it with some diffusion material to soften it up a bit and the battery ran 90 minutes or more. Bulbs can be gotten at places like Home Depot and are quite inexpensive. The cost of the unit, light head, battery and charger is well under $200 but be aware the battery is a wet cell like a car battery so it weights a bit but on the shoulder it's not bad and on a belt it's not bad at all. Mine just recently went to battery heaven after about 8 years but I hadn't used it for almost 3 so really 5 years of pretty heavy use and I was actually using it to power my Anton Bauer Ultralight. I made an adaptor cable and it worked great.
Like was said before Bescor has a pretty big selection of different light heads and batteries and none of them are budget killers.
Old June 9th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey Kelley, if you're in a pinch, i'll lend you some equipment for the time being...
I've got two NRG battery belts that power a 30 watt light for about 2 hours and 1 1/2 respectively...I've gone away with this system, and am too lazy to sell on Ebay.

The belts tie around the waist. They're not too heavy..The camera mounted light is an older Arc light that throws wonderfully..

I've also got a Swit 2010 that i've purchased, but is definately top heavy on my XH A1...

I've had a few cancellations, so they'll be collecting dust for the next few weeks...PM me if interested...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
Hey Kelley, if you're in a pinch, i'll lend you some equipment for the time being...
I've got two NRG battery belts that power a 30 watt light for about 2 hours and 1 1/2 respectively...I've gone away with this system, and am too lazy to sell on Ebay.

The belts tie around the waist. They're not too heavy..The camera mounted light is an older Arc light that throws wonderfully..

I've also got a Swit 2010 that i've purchased, but is definately top heavy on my XH A1...

I've had a few cancellations, so they'll be collecting dust for the next few weeks...PM me if interested...
Thanks Peter!

I'm sending you an email right now...I have a few questions!
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I use a 35w Frezzi Dimmer Micro-Fill with a Bescor NMH-54 battery, both w/ 4-pin xlr connectors.

Super light weight combo.
Battery powers light continuously for 1hr. 15min....I've timed it several times in a controlled environment.

The battery is crazy small, fits in my back pocket.
Two of them last me the whole reception...easily.

Take about 6hrs to charge.
Make sure you get the automatic charger.

Light is bright enough to use 20 ft. away.

I added a couple metal paper folding clips on either side of the light to hold diffusion when shooting close.
When shooting far, I just unclip the diffusion with one hand and put it away.

I highly recommend this combo.
Bill Petropoulos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques