Second shooters for weddings. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 12th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Second shooters for weddings.

For those who have dedicated second shooters that they hire for weddings, do you let them use their footage that they shoot for their own reel or portfolio? I'm not sure how the B&G would feel about having their videos on other peoples websites too.

I am thinking about hiring another dedicated videographer to up my production value instead of having the usual assistant or basic shooter. I was wondering what's the best way to conduct this?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jimmy Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #2
Major Player

dude, that is the only way to go! make them sign a work for hire agreement and you are good to go. find good shooters, pay them well and get consistent stuff.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Agree. It's very hard to find good 2nd shooter since he/she has to think like you and almost read your mind, and on top of that has to shoot good video. That's why it might be a painful process before you find the one. So treat him well and pay fair price - for the same reason 2 camera videos are that much more expensive. But you'll see how easier it is for you later in post.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Jimmy,

The only way to go with a second shooter is to put together a contract for them to sign stating that the footage is the property of you/your studio,that they can't open a video business with in a certain mileage of your studio,etc.Obviously with better wording.Our contract is quite specific as to rights and obligations that the second shooter need to fulfill when shooting with our company.Remember YOUR reputation is riding on this second shooter.Anything he or she does will directly reflect on your business.Be careful!

Ryan
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Conway View Post
For those who have dedicated second shooters that they hire for weddings, do you let them use their footage that they shoot for their own reel or portfolio? I'm not sure how the B&G would feel about having their videos on other peoples websites too.

I am thinking about hiring another dedicated videographer to up my production value instead of having the usual assistant or basic shooter. I was wondering what's the best way to conduct this?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I would definitely NOT let my 2nd shooters use footage they shoot while under my company name for their own portfolio. By doing so, you're only fueling someone else's business unnecessarily and when they branch out on their own could definitely lead to lost revenue on your end. If they want to build their own portfolio, I've always said they should start by doing smaller shoots like engagement shoots - that they've organized on their own.

Have them sign a non-competition agreement and you should be fine.
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

That's what I was thinking but I felt like I was being shady. I'm guessing the only way to keep your good 2nd shooters is to keep the pay really good huh? Thanks for everyone's advice.
Jimmy Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #7
Major Player

You can also let him link to your website to watch some highlights that he worked on with you, this way it is still your company name that is shown. That could even bring you more business :)
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
You can also let him link to your website to watch some highlights that he worked on with you, this way it is still your company name that is shown. That could even bring you more business :)
Great idea!

:)

Santo
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Siewior View Post
So treat him well and pay fair price - for the same reason 2 camera videos are that much more expensive. But you'll see how easier it is for you later in post.

So... what is a ball park fair price for a 2nd shooter? I mainly need someone to man a tripod cam during the ceremony, toasts and help set up and break down the tripods and cameras...

Any suggestions for compensation?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #10
Major Player

LESS IS MORE!!!

hahaha.. not in a bad way though..

I just think that you should not give a lot in the earlier jobs.. because if you already give a lot.. then you have nothing else to reward them for their good job.

even worse, you'll feel disadvantaged if you paid them good money and they don't do their job properly.

Santo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques