DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   camera ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/237402-camera.html)

Stephen J. Williams June 15th, 2009 08:10 PM

camera ?

I'm currently playing with the idea of upgrading to HD... i currently own a DVX100B, I like pretty much everything about it. I love how it shoots in 24p and then lays it on the tape at 29.97 This is important for me now since use FCE and it doesn't support a 24p timeline.

I really like the look and the design of the Canon XL-H1... I like how it's somewhat of a cross between a prosumer and a ENG camera. Which for me seems like a perfect upgrade.

Anythoughts, recomendations, other cameras for the same amount of money?

Steve

Mark Von Lanken June 15th, 2009 09:46 PM

Hi Steve,

Since you like the DVX100 so much, the Panasonic HMC150 would be a perfect transition into the HD world. I have shot with Sony cameras, both HD and SD as well as the Canon XL1 for about 5 years and the Panasonic HMC150 is my favorite out of all of them.

One of the things that I would be concerned about with the XL-H1 is that you will need a bigger rig if you want to do stedicam type of shots. The HMC150 can fly on something as little as a merlin or Glidecam 2000 or 4000.

The HMC150 uses AVCHD, which I greatly prefer over HDV. Camera selection really comes down to personal preferences. You can see hundreds of posts about the HMC150 over at this link.
Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders - The Digital Video Information Network

Stephen J. Williams June 16th, 2009 07:34 PM

Mark... thanks for the info. I've heard a lot of good things about the HMC150. I dont own a steadycam or merlin for my DVX... so i'm not really into flying the camera.
I like the smaller prosumer cams but i'm trying to push it to the next level. Not sure if the XL-H1 is it, but I like some of the options. I plan on keeping my DVX with my fig rig setup.

Steve

Matt Barwick June 16th, 2009 09:15 PM

Hey Steve,

You'll no doubt get 1000 different opinions due to personal preference :) so here's my humble thoughts.

I like Mark's advice about sticking to a migrating to a HMC150 seeing as you like your Panny DVX100.

But...IF you're thinking about going to canon then you might want to have a serious look at the XH-A1s - it's missing a few features of the XL H1 but bang for buck it gives a pretty nice image.

Stephen J. Williams June 17th, 2009 07:39 PM

Matt... I was thinking about going for a bigger camera all together. After a talk with the wife though "big surprise" my plans have changed. I do like my DVX and so it would make sense that an HD version would do a great job at suiting my needs. It's such a hard decision.

Which camera did you end up with?

Steve

Susanto Widjaja June 17th, 2009 08:15 PM

I think to get a new camera, you need to think about the different elements that you need.

For example:

recording media (tape/drive)

recording format (HD/SD)

audio connector (xlr/stereo jack)

price (budget)

and some others..

and when you figure out those elements, you can narrow down the choices.. hmc 150 only records to drive as far as i know..

for me, I'd probably get an xh-a1s since i already got an xh-a1. I've mixed footage between my a1 and fx1, they are completely different...

although I'd love the capability to record to compact flash like the z7... omygosh... how clever are these manufacturers eh?? you just can't have it all!!

Santo

Peter Manojlovic June 17th, 2009 08:17 PM

After moving to HDV (XH A1), i'm realizing what a pain in the butt it is to deliver correctly scaled down quality to SD...
My delivery is exclusively optical media in SD format...

So that being said:
I've come to the realization (in my case), that if you're delivering in SD, stick to good quality SD gear.
If you're delivering in HD, enjoy the HD gear...

But once i went to the downconvert path....I was in for a shocker..

Bryan Daugherty June 17th, 2009 08:24 PM

My experience is the complete opposite of Peter's. I bought the HD1000U to just start testing how my system and workflow would handle HDV as I looked forward to better models but I have been extremely pleasantly surprised at the downconverted SD footage and the HDV BD-r delivered footage. I think it varies by camera model and NLE as to what kind of results you get on downconvert. In the case of the HD1000U the downconverted images look great, often better than my PD170 in the same setting...

Peter Manojlovic June 17th, 2009 10:33 PM

Are you downconverting 720P??

Then, yeah, i could see your point..

Getting a proper 1080i to 480i downconvert is a pain in the arse.
Currently i'm using an AviSynth script that provides stunning results...But the processing is slow as molasses...
I'm currently running a Matrox RT.X2 card...

Bryan Daugherty June 18th, 2009 09:36 PM

The HD1000U doesn't shoot 720, only 1080i or 480i. I shoot in 1080i, capture 1080i and then downconvert in Vegas, if needed. I have noticed, however, if I am working in Premiere CS4 then it is generally better to render out of Vegas to SD then work with it in Premiere. But for the most part, I have been thrilled to the gills with the SD results from my 1080i footage.