DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Music Licensing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/237412-music-licensing.html)

Olivier Depaep June 16th, 2009 02:40 AM

Music Licensing

Hello,

I have recently finished my first wedding film and have purchased a license from the wedding video recording license website which allows me to make up to 5 copies of the dvd. Is this the only license one needs?

Also, can I now legally put the film online? I was thinking of putting it on my website or what if my clients want to put their film on e.g. YouTube?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ta,
Ollie

ps : I am based in the UK

Ricci Ocampos June 16th, 2009 05:26 AM

quick question

what's the name of the music licensing website? just curious about ..... sorry i don't have the answer to your question for i too wants to know the answer..thanks

Olivier Depaep June 16th, 2009 06:05 AM

Hi Ricci,
it's the wedding video recording license website (www.wvrl.co.uk). It is a UK license only.

Ricci Ocampos June 16th, 2009 10:49 AM

Opps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olivier Depaep (Post 1159092)
Hi Ricci,
it's the wedding video recording license website (www.wvrl.co.uk). It is a UK license only.

Oppsss my bad. Thanks

Chris Davis June 16th, 2009 12:17 PM

I took a look at the site and I found any reference to online video to be suspiciously missing.

Kevin Zibart June 16th, 2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Davis (Post 1159235)
I took a look at the site and I found any reference to online video to be suspiciously missing.

I found this burried in the next-to-last entry in the FAQ:

Quote:

Does The Wedding Video-Recording Licence Cover The Performance Of Music?
This licence does not provide any rights to perform music other than for domestic (home) viewing. Performance rights can be obtained from the Performing Right Society (PRS). PRS works on behalf of its members (composers, lyricists, music publishers etc.) to license the public performance, broadcast and cable transmission of copyright works (including on the Internet), collect the licence fees, assemble information about the use of that music, and then distribute the royalties.
Wedding Video Licences FAQ (scroll to the bottom)

So unfortunately, it sounds like you may have to pursue a separate license from the Performing Right Society to be fully compliant.

Nicholas de Kock June 16th, 2009 01:36 PM

How do you know the website is for real and not just a scam to get your money? I don't see a physical address listed, I'm not based in the UK however how can we be sure these organizations are actually delivering what they say and are not just a web site?

Olivier Depaep June 16th, 2009 03:26 PM

Kevin, thanks for pointing that out, I missed that completely. I gave them a ring anyway and just to confirm,you do need a separate licence (around £60 for one year) for online delivery + clearance from the copyright holder (e.g. producers).

Nicholas, this company is for real but I can see where you are coming from.