Videographer/Cinematographer/Filmographer?! how about one new general term?! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 24th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #31
Major Player

Totally agree with quality issue.
Original post and part of discussion was semantics related, finding the essence of meaning of what we do is very important I think.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Too bad "dreamweaver" is taken, has a nice ring to it...
Yeah, but it comes with its own theme song!! :P
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #33
Trustee

I am comfortable with any of these terms. I'm proud to be a videographer. When arranging businessy things however, I tend to use "Filmmaker" as it has a more professional ring to it in my market.

When I think of the film vs. video debates (at my level of this tricky visual media), I tend to see people trying to get the "Film Look" by emulating crappy, poorly shot, aged super 8mm film... at that point, I'd rather be associated with video, so changing the perception on our end is probably the best bet as it will ripple out from us.

Well shot film is beautiful; well shot video is beautiful; both shot poorly looks like crap. It's not the tool, it's how you use it. Titles have always confounded me as well, I use what is most appropriate at any give point in time and try not to fixate on defining myself as something that will limit my future. Leave room for anything by being whatever your client is asking for.
Old June 24th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
I'm whatever the client thinks I am. To some I make movies to others I shoot video, idiots refer to me as the dvd guy, the rich will refer to me as a cinematographer and even though I market myself as a cinematographer I'm nowhere near able to shoot Hollywood movies, I don't consider myself a true cinematographer worthy of the title. I think 'camera dude' sums it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja View Post
at the end, use the one that will get you clients.. and then make them call you "awesome videographer/film-maker/cameraman/dudes..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua View Post
If everybody's work improves, across the board, a name change is the least needed for one to market effectively.
I think I missed one quote, but these are the ones that say it best. If you are ONLY a "wedding videographer," then there may be another term you can create. But when you talk about using terms like "filmmaker" it makes your skill more general (to the public, which is who we create for). If you call yourself a filmmaker and a Director asks you to DP a feature for him, what will you say? Film is film and tape is tape but I'll leave that alone.
But a note on Cinematography. Cinematographers usually oversee the overall lighting of a "set." I'm still learning how to light so I would be hesitant to call myself a Cinematographer.
I love creating all types of videos no matter the event, movie, etc...The fact is that "video" is a generic term in itself. Think about it, when someone is filming (yes, actually using film) to shoot a music video...well, it's still called a music video. Only when someone is shooting a movie do they say they're creating a film. I say just keep it simple. Let the professionals chat about proper terminology and practice, let the public be happy. And remember the quote above from Jason!
Blah Blah Blah I think this is my longest post yet. Hopefully I said something useful. Great topic btw.

JS
PPEG, LLC
Videographer
John Stakes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques