How Thoughtful! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 21st, 2009, 09:30 AM   #1
Major Player

How Thoughtful!

I've been doing business with a business the past few years and all is well... until now.

When I got my check yesterday for services rendered I also got the invoice I emailed them with a note that said there must have been a mistake since I charged $300+ for mileage and it was something we never discussed. Mind you in the past I didn't charge mileage (rookie mistake) but this year I did.

(I drive more than 300 miles each direction and it took roughly six hours. It was stupid to NOT charge mileage. 600+ miles and 12 hours of drive time!)

What really ticked me off was that she wrote on the invoice she wasn't paying it and deducted the $300+ from the total amount. How thoughtful!

This approach has really put a sour taste in my mouth. No phone call, no email... just a tacky note on the invoice saying she wasn't paying it because we never discussed it.

However...

On the ONE PAGE CONTRACT she signed, it clearly states that there is a mileage fee when traveling outside of my county.

Guess she missed that part.

It's my belief that people will sign ANYTHING you put in front of them without reading it... and just make assumptions.

I think on Monday I'll fax the SIGNED CONTRACT and highlight the part where there is a mileage fee.

Venting over.
Old June 21st, 2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

yeah most people will sign pretty much anything but I think instead of faxing you might want to call her, explain the situation to her and since she should have a copy of the agreement in her file (if she doesn't her mistake) she can go over it with you on the phone.

I think it would be a better way and a bit more personal not to mention if either one of you have any questions it gets answered right away.

I prefer phone or face time whenever possible but it sounds to me like she really has no choice but to pay since she signed the contract. Keep in mind though that you might need to negociate a settlement to get the money, also next time, be sure to talk about the mileage requirement. ;-)
Old June 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Did you specify on the contract the exact amount of the mileage fee? Just asking because you said that your contact stated that there would be "a" mileage fee? I guess that could lead into discussion if no amount is stated.

I also have learned through the years to make my contracts as detailed as possible, it takes me some time to check and double check to make sure I didn't miss anytime but that is time well spend. I have a fixed price f.i. for a 10hour wedding package and charge extra per hour, I state that in the contract but if they ask me if I can stay longer on their wedding day then initially agreed I always ask them if they are aware about the extra charge and also tell them how much it will cost them extra.

Another thing I do to assure I get my money is to ask a deposit and when I deliver the finished dvd's they have to pay the remaining part in cash, no exceptions. This I also clearly state in the contract and when I call to set a date to deliver everything I mention it again.

I had 2 cases until now were they "forgot" or didn't have the time to go to the bank to get the remaining payment. In those 2 cases I took the dvd's back and took them home, then they could drive up to my place to collect them and pay then or they could pay through bank transfer and I send them by mail. In that case they have to pay extra for the sending costs. If they don't pay, they don't get their dvd's.

In both cases they were not satisfied ofcourse but I don't care, I have to make my monthly payments and I don't have time for chasing clients around once they got their dvd's.

Also going to court is not so easy in my country, often the amounts are too small and it can cost me a lot of time and money before I see my money back. If I see it back becuase if the client has financial problems it will cost me more then I will get out of it. That's why I have such a strict payment policy.

I hope you get your remaining money as you have all the right to ask it, otherwise you might have to change your payment policy as well I think.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Major Player

The contract states that there is a charge of 55 cents per mile, based on a round trip, for traveling outside of the county. That's a few pennies less than what the IRS specifies.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Cavett View Post
The contract states that there is a charge of 55 cents per mile, based on a round trip, for traveling outside of the county. That's a few pennies less than what the IRS specifies.
I just had the IRS web page open. The IRS standard business rate is exactly $0.55 / mile for 2009.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Must've gone down recently (after the gas spike last year). My accountant said .585 cents was the norm.

But thanks!
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Cavett View Post
Must've gone down recently (after the gas spike last year). My accountant said .585 cents was the norm.

But thanks!
That might have been last years rate. The IRS changes the rate whenever they darn well want to. In 2007 they changed it twice in the same year to keep up with gas prices that rocketed near $5 / gal depending on location in the US.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques