DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   my battery charger blew up (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/237877-my-battery-charger-blew-up.html)

Susanto Widjaja June 24th, 2009 02:31 AM

my battery charger blew up

hi guys,

I just bought bescor battery from bh&h

Bescor | BES-018XLRA Shoulder Pack Lead-Acid | BES018XLRATM

and this charger:

Bescor | BCQ-12 Quick Charger | BCQ12 | B&H Photo Video

the charger that comes with the battery doesn't work, and the quick charger blew up when I connect it to power point..

Anyone here with electrical knowledge and can help me? customer service from b&h or bescor haven't been much help and I'm left with a nice battery with no charger...

and I can't seem to find any compatible charger from google.com.au (australia search)

Thanks in advance

Santo

Asvaldur Kristjansson June 24th, 2009 07:40 AM

hi, there

Your mains in Australia is 230v and the charger is made for 110v so my guess is that is the reason. Any 2A converter should do. You can also use lower amp charger but it will take you longer to fully charge the battery. For emergency you could connect it into the cigarette lighter in your car.

Stephen J. Williams June 24th, 2009 04:34 PM

It's just a 12v battery... I use just a normal 12V battery charger that I bought at a hardware store for all of my batteries. A lot of them allow you to adjust the charging amps.

This is what I would do...

Use the male end from the old charger. Cut the wires off and put terminal lugs on the end (or something for the alligator clips of a normal charger to grab onto). It wont look pretty, but it will work.

Use a normal 12v battery charger.

Steve

Susanto Widjaja June 24th, 2009 08:03 PM

to be honest i'm not very familiar with all this.

I think I would bring this battery to a hardware store and look for the charger.

i saw this 2A adapter, will this work?

24 -12V DC-DC Converter 2A [MP3038] - $24.95 : Truck Drivers Equipment and Accessories Store Brought to you by Ozprodrivers

Stephen: better for me not to cut any wires.. cause I don't know which one is which :P

thanks guys

Santo

Matt Barwick June 24th, 2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja (Post 1163110)
Stephen: better for me not to cut any wires.. cause I don't know which one is which :P

Santo - you might need to check out some more action flicks...you ALWAYS cut the red wire...or was it the blue? :)

Matt.

Alex Dolgin June 25th, 2009 05:09 AM

LOL you also need to twist them together - red and black after cutting and strpping.
Seriously, you need to look for a 12V lead acid battery charger rated up to 2A. They are inexpensive, but also they are not made for worldwide power range. Make sure if your mains power 240V AC, the charger is rated for that voltage, not 120 AC.
HTH

Paul Mailath June 27th, 2009 02:42 AM

Hi Santo - good one! plugging a 110v into 240 - never works

Gind your nearest Jaycar electronics store, take the battery along and they'll set you up with the right charger and any necessary adapors.