DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Chris H. - Get That Private Section Up (pretty please!) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/238226-chris-h-get-private-section-up-pretty-please.html)

Jason Robinson June 30th, 2009 01:57 PM

Chris H. - Get That Private Section Up (pretty please!)

Because I have been itching to whine and complain about a "nickle & dime me to death" potential client (among other things).

:-)

So I assume most of the pros here charge for travel. I used to have a $1 / mile travel for outside of the county travel, but the only client I ended up having last year that was out of county asked me to lower it to the IRS rate.... so I did.

Now I have a potential wedding that said that another guy was willing to charge only for the gas rather than the IRS rate which includes wear and tear. "Would you be willing to do that?"

To which I responded by calling up Travis C. to whine and complain (among other unrelated things... and thanks for being a good sport Travis).

So now I have another instance of fighting against the nebulous "other videographer" which I am finding is very tiresome for no apparent reason.

So the main point of my post, aside from prodding Chris H to get the private section opened for use so I could put this post in the private section, is to wonder..... Why do negotiations of this nature leave me feeling mentally drained (even just attempting to compose my response email). Is it because I can see myself being devalued by someone else? Is it because I am trying to book something (anything!) for July and I think I might cave for the sake of the remaining $1100?

Anyone else experience similar feelings when being "talked down"?

if you have the luxury of not needing to negotiate because you are in such high demand, then please be good enough to not comment, or if you do, comment about the times when you DID have those experiences. Some of us are squeezing rocks just to get >$1k packages <10 times a year for 2+ cams with 3/4hr final productions.

Chris Davis June 30th, 2009 03:14 PM

...and on another forum a young woman is complaining about the videographer that wants a buck a mile when gas is only $2.50 a gallon... :)

I don't mind a good negotiation, but I dislike when people need to defend their nickle-n-dime behavior. If the bride doesn't like the $1100 price tag, she should just ask "what can you do for $750?" At least then she's given me something to work with.

Instead of going back and forth about little things like gas prices, I'd just respond with a question like "what is your budget for wedding video?" Once they give you a number, you can then come back with a pared down package, or you can pass. At least it'll be less frustrating.

Noel Lising June 30th, 2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 1165352)
Is it because I can see myself being devalued by someone else? Is it because I am trying to book something (anything!) for July and I think I might cave for the sake of the remaining $1100?

Anyone else experience similar feelings when being "talked down"?

Jason, I find myself in similar situiations sometimes, I mean $ 1100 is still $ 1100. But there's a certain cap that I give myself, if I am off by $ 200 why not, but if I am presented with another vendor pricing which is half of what I am charging I walk away ( Another studio was charging a potential client $ 950 - Photography/video with a 10 x 10 Coffee Book Style Album). Was I frustrated, hell yeah but I find comfort knowing that after putting 12 hours of shooting, a week of post production, another 2 weeks color correcting photos, 1 week of designing the coffee book table the other vendor gets to take home $ 200 bucks I am HAPPY. My time is worth more than $ 200.00

Lukas Siewior June 30th, 2009 07:26 PM

Jason, Chris is right. You should revers the situation and ask them how much they want to spend. Also ask yourself how much your time and services are worth - you can't be low-balling yourself. Some ppl think that in current situation in economy everyone should be able to give them a deal of lifetime - but how would you feel and how would you perform your services knowing you're working bellow or at your cost??? I don't think you would put as much effort into their video as for "fair priced" deal.

I think you should make them think that you are very busy person booked almost 100% and if they don't accept your terms asap then someone else will take that date. It's them looking for services - not you looking for a customer. Ppl do not understand how much work goes into well done video - actually they do, after watching their wedding done by the cheaper videog.

I had recently a situation where after 2 weeks for emails and showing samples online we finally met to sign the contract. Bride was happy, groom was skeptic about whole idea. I've offered them short for of the video. We've talked through details of the day and when it came to signing the contract the groom said that he has to think about it. And he declined to sign the paper. I was shocked (wasted whole evening on a empty promise) but told them fine and to let me know in 48 hrs because I have other couple waiting. As soon as I left their apartment I heard the bride yelling at the groom :-) I had positive response in 12 hrs.

Vito DeFilippo June 30th, 2009 09:25 PM

Hi Jason,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 1165352)
Why do negotiations of this nature leave me feeling mentally drained (even just attempting to compose my response email). Is it because I can see myself being devalued by someone else?

I think that's exactly it. They're telling you that you're not worth it, and that hurts, dammit!