bad economy and wedding prices at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 6th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

bad economy and wedding prices

just wondering how this really crumby economy has affected everyones business and if brides are skipping the whole video thing or if they re just getting you to come down on your price structure.
Trevor Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Troup View Post
just wondering how this really crumby economy has affected everyones business and if brides are skipping the whole video thing or if they re just getting you to come down on your price structure.
I have only booked the bottom two of my four packages this year. Those are ~$1,100 and ~$1,500.

I poured over $3K into advertising this year (unlike any year in the past) and it seems to have helped because I might end the year with one more booking than last year. Of course, that is still only 7 bookings for the year.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Trustee

I used to shoot for other companies, but this is a first year I'm working for myself, can't complain, thought it'll be worse;
May to October I have three weddings a month in average, not bad for the first year.
lots of last minute couples.
Old July 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The economy really affected us for the first 5 months of this year, but things are looking up for next year already.
Old July 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

the first 5 months January thru May sucked. Worst I ever had. Of course I was gone for 10 days in MAy but even still it was the worst 5 month months I ever had. June thru November though has made up for it. 32 for those months. July is a butt kicker...8. 1 down 7 to go. I am however going to end about 20 short of last year (62 in 2008) but actually I'm not complaining. At my age, 40 is about my limit now.
Who knows what next year will bring. Maybe I'll retire and play golf 5 days a week. One can only wish. (sigh)
Old July 6th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Trustee

This year has been fine, but next year is looking slow thus far, partially because we tried raising our prices. If we keep striking out on bookings with the new and improved pricing for next year we'll be forced to give in and go back to our current pricing or at least closer to it. I think we've been bitten a little by the economy but I can't be sure.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques