Cinevate Brevis 35mm *VS* Canon 5D MK II - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 15th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #16
Major Player

Charles,

We recently sold our Brevis 35 after purchasing the 5D. We found that the Brevis 35 had a great image, but was a little to unwieldy for Bridal Preps (hotel rooms, small bedrooms). I was getting some strange looks when people saw me putting together what looked like a rocket launcher.
We actually used the 5D on the Glidecam for some shots this weekend. It is a great tool to add to our collection. I haven't tried Magic Lantern just yet. I want to learn more about the camera before jumping into that.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Hey Chad:

I think that is great advice (and hilarious!). :-) Yeah...the last thing we need is a BIGGER production! I'm trying to build a lightweight, easy setup that my wife is comfortable with.

Based on what you described, the Brevis would pretty much be the opposite of that.

To that end, we just ordered our SECOND 5D MK II. Since we are photographers, we've already got every lens we could ever want, so now I just need to get the audio nailed down with the 5D.

Thanks for the input!
~ Charles
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #18
Trustee

Check out Phil Bloom's thread on audio handling. Zoom H4n may be a great choice for yr needs.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baisden View Post
I definitely think that sounds like a possibility. We've started off using our same old CF cards that we've always used for photography. I wouldn't have suspected this was causing the problem, but it certainly could be a factor.

I don't think that is the entire answer though because the camera locked up immediately once as soon as we started recording.

But I'll try the CF card & see what happens.
~ Charles
The CF card is definitely the issue. That "wierd thing" on screen is the buffer overflow warning, and if it is going to the top and freezing up, your card is to slow. I use some very inexpensive Kingston Elite Pro, 133x, and have had narry a problem. I have stuck with 16 gig cards because of occasional complaint I have heard about 32 gig cards. Canon is supposed to have fixed some of the 32 gig issues.

As you get braver, you will also want to use the new Magic Lantern firmware that is being developed by Trammel Hudson coupled with the Juiced Link CX231. I recently shot with it at a Mariachi party, and the sound recording showed great promise. (This was before Trammel had fixed the "clicking issue" in the sound set up.) Magic Lantern alos adds things like zebras, sound level control, and a few other nifty features.

It is in Beta stage, but proper use can get you to places others have been begging for from this camera...
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris! I'll will definitely upgrade the CF card for video purposes.

Magic Lantern sounds pretty amazing...but it does sound like it is still half baked overall. I'll let you daring souls that actually know what you're doing get it working first! :-)

I really appreciate all of the feedback guys!
~ Charles

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques