finding editors - problems to consinder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 10th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

finding editors - problems to consider

Hi All,

I'm seriously looking at outsourcing some editing and wonder what are some/any considerations that I need to take into account.

We edit in Vegas which is not common in Aust, so that is our first drawback. I'm happy to send work o/s but would prefer to also keep it local.

If an editor uses a different NLE, would there be issues?

If we capture in Vegas files can it be edited in another program?

Cheers
Dean

Last edited by Dean Morris; July 11th, 2009 at 06:30 PM.
Dean Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Trustee

Yes, you can capture in Vegas and edit in other programs. You can also export to an .aaf file format which will give you some ability to edit in a different program, but that's only for the simplest edits.

If I were you, I'd work real hard to find another editor that uses Vegas.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The captured files, while sizable, should be editable in any NLE - as long as you've got a big pipe internet connection, shouldn't be a problem outsourcing. If the editor uses the same version of vegas, you probably could transmit the .veg files as needed.

The other issue would be different shooting/editing styles. But if you have some samples I'd think that could be worked out over time.

I'm trying myself to create a sort of "cookie-cutter" edit approach where my markers are set, I know roughly what I want to put where, and it's just a matter of "insert clip here". Shooting multicam and using Vegas, still not convinced I can speed up the editing too much, but I continue to try!

If you have no luck locally, PM me, I might have some spare time to do some freelance editing.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Trustee

I edit using vegas, pity i'm in the UK, i've got time to spare at the moment.

Paul.
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone - this is a great forum. I have one person to contact who has responded to my post in helping hands - fingers crossed.

Cheers
Dean
Dean Morris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques