On board led lighting at weddings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #16
Major Player

I have been using a NRG Varalux light for over ten years, which I love, but don't like the battery belt. Trisha has used the Sony LED for over a year, and it works okay, unless you need to throw the light more than 8 feet.

A few months ago I bought the Torch LED, but was not impressed with it's short throw and narrow spread. We bought the Comer 1800 amd I am very impressed with how it throws. It's much better than any LED light I have tried. I noticed it was quite a bit cooler than the Sony LED and my NRG, so I put a 1/2 CTO gel on it and it looks great. Now I'm thinking I have finally found an LED light that will replace my tried and trusted NRG Varalux.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:37 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
I have been using a NRG Varalux light for over ten years, which I love, but don't like the battery belt. Trisha has used the Sony LED for over a year, and it works okay, unless you need to throw the light more than 8 feet.

A few months ago I bought the Torch LED, but was not impressed with it's short throw and narrow spread. We bought the Comer 1800 amd I am very impressed with how it throws. It's much better than any LED light I have tried. I noticed it was quite a bit cooler than the Sony LED and my NRG, so I put a 1/2 CTO gel on it and it looks great. Now I'm thinking I have finally found an LED light that will replace my tried and trusted NRG Varalux.
Mark, glad that you like the new Comer lights, as I thought that you would.
I'm surprised that you found the Comer lights cooler than the Sony's, as the Sony's are balanced for 5500k and the Comer is 4500k, which I thought would make them warmer than the Sony.
At least that's what I have found when working indoors with them.

Also, the Comer light already comes with a CTO geled filter.
Didn't yours?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:45 AM   #18
Trustee

Who carries the Comer 1800? Unless I missed it, B&H doesn't carry them.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:02 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
Who carries the Comer 1800? Unless I missed it, B&H doesn't carry them.
You can find them here:
L.A. Color Shop | Comer CM-LBPS1800 On-Camera LED Light

They are the only distributor that I know of right now.
But they will take very good care of you.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:50 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post

...Also, the Comer light already comes with a CTO geled filter.
Didn't yours?
Hi Michael,

Yes, the Comer came with the door that has a diffuser and gel, but the Comer was blue compared to my Sony, but my Sony has a full CTO gel on it. That's probably where the discreption comes into play.

I was able to cut a 1/2 CTO to size, so it slid under the frame casing of the Comer. I was surprised how easily it fit and it matches my NRG nicely.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:44 PM   #21
Regular Crew

i use 2 zylights with ex1's and 5d. i am very happy with them. the ability to switch from daylight to tungsten is very helpfull.

Zylight - Intelligent LED Lighting
Don Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:21 PM   #22
Major Player

Hi Don,

I have heard good things about Zylights, but I have heard two negative things about them but have not been able to confirm the second one because I did not know anyone who actually uses them. I'm glad you chimed in because I can ask you.

Do you have to use a battery belt or some type of power supply that adds a good amount of weight to the camera?

The other negative I heard about the Zylights is the price.

We are looking forward to seeing you down in Austin in January.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Michael, thanks for the plug =)

I don't have the Sony light, but when I compare the Comer to SWIT and LP Micro, Comer's output is definitely warmer. It's a pleasent surprise (as I thought all LED lights are 5600K). I found out I can shoot wedding reception without even need to use the CTO. It makes the skin tone very nice to look at too.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:49 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
Hi Don,

I have heard good things about Zylights, but I have heard two negative things about them but have not been able to confirm the second one because I did not know anyone who actually uses them. I'm glad you chimed in because I can ask you.

Do you have to use a battery belt or some type of power supply that adds a good amount of weight to the camera?

The other negative I heard about the Zylights is the price.

We are looking forward to seeing you down in Austin in January.

hi mark, looking forward to seeing you in austin as well.

unlike the sony led light, which i had 2 of, the baterry is not attached to the light which makes the cam setup heavy. i use a small battery pack that fits in my back pants pocket. a small cable runs to the light. the battery last about 3 hours.
Don Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:38 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
... when I compare the Comer to SWIT and LP Micro, Comer's output is definitely warmer. It's a pleasent surprise (as I thought all LED lights are 5600K). I found out I can shoot wedding reception without even need to use the CTO. It makes the skin tone very nice to look at too.
I cann't agree yet because I'm still waiting for my Comer. But I'm becoming more and more curious.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:49 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Hi All

When I priced LED on-cam lights I nearly fell over !!! I use my own DIY light that runs two arrays of 24 x 10mm "Warm White" LED's off eBay (they run around 3200K) Just a plastic electronics box and I'm running 2 x 7.2v camcorder batteries to give me 14.4v (as also keep the same charger as my cameras) Total all up cost was under $50 and I seldom need to use both banks even when all the lights at the reception are dimmed right down. I can get a pretty good result from up to 20' away and still get crisp video of people on the dance floor.

Most LED's are actually 6500K or higher but lower colour temps are available. Mt camera was decidedly unhappy with the normal "bright white" and even with manual balance the people are cold!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #27
Major Player

That is an interesting DIY project you're talking about. Any change you fill us in with details and drawings or pictures?
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #28
Inner Circle

For some reason you cannot post images here!!

Either that or I'm really dumb!!!

www.softweigh.com/video/diy.html

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques