DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   online estimate (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/239167-online-estimate.html)

Paul Mailath July 16th, 2009 08:04 PM

online estimate

1 Attachment(s)
what do you guys think of this idea as part of a website?

It seems to me lots of brides are looking at costs and I'm at least offering them something they can play around with and see the results - just playing around with the idea at the moment

Alec Moreno July 16th, 2009 09:14 PM

I'm shocked that if a couple has decided to have the bouquet toss filmed, that having the garter toss covered as well will cost an additional $100. Is there typically a significant amount of time between these two events in your area? If I were shopping around for a videographer, this would turn me off immediately. I would want to know that all the important stuff would be covered at the reception and that's that.

I don't see this as a selling tool. It looks more like something for a couple to play around with after they've already decided to book you, but are still deciding on an exact package, perhaps even at your office. I think that if a couple is evaluating videographers more so on price than their work, the only price that will matter is the lowest one you offer. Of course, you'll sell many of these couples on some additions, but selling services a la carte assumes that our potential customers are knowledgeable of what goes into a wedding film. I think that most couples would prefer for the process to be more streamlined.

Alec Moreno
http://www.1Day1ShotProductions.com

Paul Mailath July 16th, 2009 10:20 PM

Thank Alex,

The actual dollar amounts were just thrown in to play around with - It's one of those wonderful time wasting experiments :-) instead of doing some actual work!

But you're right - it's not going to be a good selling tool is it

Jimmy Conway July 16th, 2009 11:51 PM

I agree with Alec.

I think the brides want to know how much it will cost to cover their day and then see what they can do to subtract costs. That's usually their approach with me, anyways.

Matthew Craggs July 17th, 2009 07:03 AM

Realizing that this is a prototype, and I can't even get the total cost to change no matter what options I choose, I say this in a more general sense than specific.

I don't like giving so many options with the Speeches/Bouquet/Garter/1st dance/etc. As a client and a vendor I prefer to give a price for what it will take to get the job done right. $X of dollars for X number of hours, or $X from the bride prep to the dancing.

As it stands, a client could choose to get the bouquet and garter coverage, but not first dance and speeches. Are you going to charge less for that coverage when you're just going to be standing around the reception anyway?

Seems to me like the whole form is chance for the client to nickel and dime you.

Aaron Mayberry July 17th, 2009 07:36 AM

Why not just charge by the hour?

Jawad Mir July 19th, 2009 08:40 PM

Honestly, I find if you start breaking down events and also have separate cost for steadicam, brevis, it's not a good sell. It shows you are after money.

Either charge by hour to put it simple and it means your time is worth it and doesn't mean their partial events are not important. I also notice a lot of companies charging $600 for steadicam. If you really are into this business you should use it period at all your weddings. Otherwise it shows you are after money

Just ranting:)

Paul Mailath July 19th, 2009 09:29 PM

Nothing wrong with a good rant and I agree with what you say. I guess the pricing structure people use comes from the brides attempts to negotiate.

If I can simply drop my price for the same service - then was I overcharging in the 1st place?

So.. I remove 'parts' of that service (brevis, steadicam etc) to validate my original quote

I'm just guessing here - I don't do that but I can imagine why they do

In creating this form I was trying to fill a void - most websites in this area avoid specific pricing information and that's what brides want (according to the bridal forums) so if I can give them a pricing sheet to 'play' with, I'm offering them what they want and educating them in a pricing structure.

This is all time wasting unless they submit an enquiry but the longer they spend on my website the better for me. If I can polish up the estimate form and link it back to examples maybe MAYBE I can work it to my advantage.

or maybe I should just get back to doing the end of year financial stuff (anyone want to help me sort through a box of receipts? - anyone?)

Steve Elgar July 19th, 2009 11:10 PM

G'day Paul,

I'll throw my two bobs worth in here and say that you should just stick to package pricing with additional hourly rates. I tried a similar thing once and it didn't work, it just confused the hell out off clients. Give them a set price, and never discount, give them something extra if they haggle, but never a discount. Once you discount, word gets around and every dog and thier cat will expect the same discount. Discounting will also lower the value of your services.

The point is, if they don't wanna pay, then don't do the job.

Steve.